How to fit mindfulness into a busy schedule

How to fit mindfulness into a busy schedule

Fashion, Lifestyle

There are times in life when you just need to take a moment, sit down and reset your brain. My days are hectic with my 9-5 job, my studies at uni, and to be honest, social media is a HUGE part of my life. I’d be lying if I said that I don’t spend approximately 6 hours minimum a day reading, commenting and liking blogs and checking out what’s happening on Instagram. This has made me realize that there’s only 24 hours in a day and not 36 as I’d need. I need to allow myself some quality time and when you do the math 8 hours (my job) + 6 hours (my other job = social media) that equals 14 hours which leaves 10 hours to sleeping, eating, working out, studying, reading for leisure, doing photo shoots, meeting friends, meditating, showering, binge watching your favorite show and yeah well, you know what I mean, the list is endless but can be put into one single word: life. In my regular day there’s 10 hours left to try to fit in the essentials into my everyday life.

The lack of time has made me rationalize both my daytime job as well as my job as a blogger and social media influencer. I have everything planned on a nearly minute to minute schedule. I follow that schedule as strictly as possible. If I don’t stick to my schedule and feel lazy I’ll be missing out on some of the essential things that need to be done, whether it be finishing a blog post or working out or allowing myself to actually just sit down and have a nice cup of tea without doing ANYTHING ELSE. I need to wind down and I actually write that in my schedule every day as an obligatory activity. There’s at least one spot bookmarked for “relaxation” in whatever form it may be. One of my favorite past time hobbies is people watching. I love sitting in a café and just find inspiration and peace of mind by observing people walking by. Sometimes it even brings a smile to my face like on this picture. Especially during fall it’s so cosy to have a nice matcha tea or pumpkin rooibos latte and to feel you’re alive no matter how depressing the weather outside might be. So the lesson to be learned from this post is: give yourself time to relax EVERY day no matter how tight your schedule is. If not you’ll find yourself in a situation where you’re too exhausted to even get out of bed. Love to all of you and take care of yourselves!

20160824-dsc00878

Photo: Hugo Hofverberg

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 09:01 AM

THOMAS! I love this picture of you haha! Can I please have your dimples?!

We already talk everyday about our schedules and needless to say, we definitely need to get more sleep haha! So hard to juggle so many things in just 24 hours. I really don’t know how you work full time, study, and find time for social media! You must be superman. Teach me your ways! Hope you’re having a fab week so far <3

xo, sharon

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:45 PM

You can have anything you want, Sharon! 🙂 Haha.
      And I know, but then again reading your posts I have no idea how you manage things either so we’ll just have to keep learning from each other! <3

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 11:04 AM

This is a great read, Thomas! I have a 9 to 5 job as well. It can be very hectic to manage day time job and blogging on the top of my family life. You are doing very well though!

xo,

xo,

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:46 PM

By the looks of it you’re managing it quite good as well! But great to know I’m not alone out there. 🙂

3. Fe Samaia
    Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Loved reading this post. I can totally relate with being super busy and working on different projects at the same time. It is definitely very important to take quality time for yourself .

Fe

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:46 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words, Fe. 🙂

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 01:45 PM

You look very nice smiling Thomas! I can imagine how hard it can be, but you manage everything so so well. As Always, I enjoy to read your post and to have the sweet opportunity to interact with you 🙂

much love, Gina

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:48 PM

Aww thanks, Gina! 🙂 You always make so happy with your comments! 🙂
      Lotsa love right back at you,

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 03:19 PM

Great post and thanks for the reminder to leave some relaxation time for oneself. I must admit, I’m very bad at this and I pay for it by burning out and feeling uninspired. Only then do I “unplug” and go out for a walk or to see a movie, which makes me feel better. You’re absolutely right, I will definitely try to schedule little quiet time just for me everyday.

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:50 PM

I hear you, Jo. I’ve been burn out and constantly am balancing on a thin line of being hyper creative and doing too much. I try to stop it when I notice nothing inspires me anymore. Thanks for a great comment! 🙂

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 03:50 PM

Such a great post and so true! I just told my family that I wish there were 36 hours in a day and not 24! The amount of things we need to do are endless, but it is very important that we take the time to sit back and refocus. ALWAYS! Doing things like that definitely help us in the longer term. Thanks for the reminder! xoxo, Christine

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:50 PM

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one suffering from this! Thanks for stopping by sweetie! 🙂

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 04:47 PM

Oh my goodness your smile makes me so happy! Those dimples!! *heart eye emoji* I completely understand the feeling of not having enough hours in a day. Sometimes it feels like 24 hours is way too short to get everything I need to do done! I wish we could just extend the days or live off less sleep in order to accomplish it all haha!

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:51 PM

Hahaha, Stephanie, you’re too cute! 🙂 I vote for the latter option, but still, I know I need my sleep :/

Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 05:24 PM

Ah I can’t get over that shot! Made me smile 🙂

Kudos to you!! I seriously commend other people who balance full time jobs, school, AND social media. I know myself at part time, school, and social media – I’m more than swamped and I definitely would love extra hours in my day. But it’s hard work and it all pays off in the end. I’ve adjusted myself to a schedule, though it’s a bit loose. I’ve recently been staying up fairly late to accommodate the work that needs to be done so I’ve been lacking sleep which is terrible. We all need to take some time to unplug too so we don’t get burnt out.

XO Jenn

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 03:07 PM

Aww, Jenn, blushing here! I’m not used to smiling on pictures. AT ALL!
      And I totally get you on the sleep part. Like tonight I didn’t sleep much at all and I’m feeling like a wreck today… So we need our sleep and as you said, to unplug as well!

9. Isabel
    Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 06:00 PM

OMG ! Loved this post so much!
    And how cute you look on that photo?! So adorable!
    I really understand what you mean : I have a full schedule too ( my job and my two kids can make me feel so full-field but at same time so exhausted!) that sometimes I believe I have super powers 🙂 !
    How can I manage it all?! To be honest sometimes I just don’t know, must be some kind of magic…
    But I agree with you , at some point you have to stop and breath ( or sleep for an entire afternoon…) otherwise your body will suffer.
    I always take my time to go jogging so I can be with “myself ” : that’s how I keep my mental sanity 🙂
    Love your blog my dear and it’s always a pleasure to read your thoughts.

Sending you lots of love,

Isabel

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:39 PM

First of all, you’re making me blush, haha ?
      I do believe in us having super powers too mixed with a dose of magic, otherwise I can’t see how all this could be possible. Or then we’re just really awesome you and I, Isabel. 🙂
      Lots of love,

10. Maryam
    Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 07:14 PM

Great post Thomas! I also have a 9-5. It can get really hectic sometime.. trying to manage my time! It’s necessary to unplug sometimes!

xo, Maryam

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:39 PM

It totally is dear Maryam! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

11. Michelle Sun
    Wednesday October 19th, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Thank you for the reminder that we all needed to hear – that we need to squeeze “me” time into our days despite how busy our schedules may be. Although I do not people watch in my own free time, I definitely know how relaxing it feels to grab a quick coffee at a coffee shop and just take in everything around you (without your laptop or cellphone taking up your attention).

-Michelle Sun
    @missmisschelle

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:41 PM

The thing you added last (without your laptop or cellphone…) is WAY crucial. I mean, it’s been forever since I had time to browse magazines, let alone read a good book. I miss having that time! We need more free time to be functional!

12. Alyssa
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:13 AM

It’s always interesting to hear how other people manage their time with social media. I find there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done. Good for you! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:41 PM

I totally agree we oughta have way more hours or 5 assistants to manage our thing! 🙂

13. Miki
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 02:46 AM

This is such a great post Thomas. I completely get you. It is so hard to give myself down time when I’m caught up on a long to do list! Especially since I always spend time on Social Media. i am trying to make more time to unplug. The most unplugged I get is when I get a massage, go to the gym or travel. Haha we should all do that more right?? Thanks so sharing. it’s a great reminder to take a moment to appreciate the quiet and the time we have to rest!

Miki

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 08:43 PM

I totally agree! I try to find things to do that EXCLUDES any kind of social media and a massage or going to the gym is perfect for that. I mean even my vacations nowadays are all about finding WI-FI hotspots… so much for vacation… So we totally need to unplug!

14. Francesca Felix
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 05:52 AM

Its crazy how much you can fit in a day if you have everything organized and scheduled!!
    xx F
    francesca
    Frank Vinyl : A California Fashion Blog

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:28 PM

I know, it’s the only way to go! 🙂

Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 06:00 AM

I’m so happy I am not the only that has this schedule! I so admire people like you for working a full time job and doing this on the side because I do it too! Thank you for sharing Thomas!

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:29 PM

And I get strength to go on as I know I’m not the only one out there, Linh! Thanks for your kind words!
      xoxo,

16. Julia
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Great post Thomas! I wish there were 36 hours in the day too – I actually don’t know how you manage to keep up with everything -you must be so organised, but you’re absolutely right to build in relaxation time!
    I love this photo – you have the cutest smile!!
    Julia x

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:31 PM

Julia, you’re always so sweet to me! And thanks to you I’m smiling a lot more! 🙂

17. Abdelkhalek
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Such a great and interesting post

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:31 PM

Thanks buddy!

18. Annis
    Thursday October 20th, 2016 at 06:24 PM

Really cool advice!!

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:31 PM

Thanks! 🙂

Friday October 21st, 2016 at 03:13 AM

Wow you’re an extremely productive guy if you have a 9 to 5 job and still go to uni at the same time. That sounds super exhausting and it’s definitely important to learn when to unplug to reset our brains.

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:32 PM

I’m extremely everything, which is not always a good thing. Haha. But yeah, resetting is the key here!

Friday October 21st, 2016 at 09:15 AM

I always love hearing your experiences and to see how you manage your life. I agree that making time for everything is really important, especially have “me time”. People watching sounds like a fun thing to do. I might try it some time 🙂

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:33 PM

Yeah, Bernice! You certainly should try it if you’re enjoy analyzing things, in this case people, haha. 🙂

21. Molly
    Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 06:06 PM

Wow! You’re an inspiration! Good for you for being so disciplined and staying on top of everything! I certainly know what it’s like to work a full time job and blog full time. So proud of you and don’t forget to take time for yourself! You deserve it! Also, yes to people watching! 😉

Keep smiling!
    Molly | http://www.stylemissmolly.com

Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 09:34 PM

Your comments make my heart melt! I am so happy for your support sweetie! <3

22. Hadasah
    Saturday October 22nd, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Hi Thomas,

I really hope you are enjoying the weekend to the max and that time slows down a bit so you got time for everything u wish to do 😉 😉 sending you kisses & love…

Hadasah // http://www.styletolove.com

23. Sangyay Chen
    Sunday October 23rd, 2016 at 01:08 AM

Omg, I really needed to read this so thank you! This is something I’m struggling with as well because being a full-time student and blogging at the same can become quite overwhelming and I really need to learn how to “wind down” with feeling lazy. Keep up the great post!
    xoxo,
    Sangyay | http://www.sangyayc.com

24. Darlene
    Sunday October 23rd, 2016 at 11:42 PM

this is just what I needed to read. Everything you said make sense, now putting into work might be challenging but thank you for these awesome notes!
    Thenewgirl.me

25. Adelina
    Tuesday October 25th, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Another beautiful post!! I am the SAME!! I need 36 hours in a day! Truth is, I have burnt out more times than I can count but I hate being and feeling lazy! Being over productive though isn’t healthy, by any means. Sometimes we need to choose what is most important and not try to cram everything in a day. I always try to achieve the impossible in one day. It’s in my nature and If I don’t do it its like fighting myself. I’ve been better, but when you love what you do, you can do it 48 hours a day if that existed!! I love people watching too SO MUCH btw! xox, Adelina