When things don’t turn out the way you planned

When things don’t turn out the way you planned

Fashion, Life itself

Let’s admit it, things don’t always go the way you planned, period. I’m a huge control freak and need to have everything planned into the smallest detail. Partly because that’s who I am, but also because my schedule is incredibly intense. Fitting this blogging career with a 9-5 job isn’t easy. It’s not just taking a picture and then posting something on your blog. There’s so much more to it. Here’s an example of how much is actually involved in making a good blog post and what could go wrong.

This past weekend I was supposed to write about a wonderful spa hotel in the south of Sweden. This had been planned months in advance as I needed to check that it would fit, not only into my schedule, but into my photographer’s and assistans’s schedules as well as the hotel’s we were visiting. A week prior to actually going there I’m doing research about where I’m to visit and what photo opportunities there are and what would be interesting for you readers. After that comes the selection of clothes for all the photo shoots on the trip. On the departure day we drove for 2 hours to get to the hotel and once there we had a lovely day looking around and planning what we would shoot the next day. We also used approximately 3 hours to shoot some exteriors as well as our room. So it wasn’t all about chilling by the poolside. As we sat down to have dinner the fire alarm went off and the whole hotel had to be evacuated. Without going into complaining too much we spent 1 hour out in the cold (and yes, it’s close to freezing point here in Sweden now) before we were transferred into a warmer location at which we spent 3 hours. Thankfully the hotel wasn’t all too damaged and the staff was incredibly helpful and I’m grateful for them ensuring everyone was ok. However, both the restaurant as well as the lobby (where the fire started) had to be closed so it ended up in us not being able to do what we were there to do, that is, taking pictures and writing about our stay. I am in no way blaming the hotel as no one can predict a fire and like I mentioned before, I couldn’t have asked for better help from the staff, but the bottom line is: a whole weekends worth of work went down the drain just like that.

My schedule is incredibly full and as a weekend is a long time, I’m way behind on some very large projects that are coming up on the blog, but as always, I’ll manage as I’ve learnt to to accept the things I cannot change, have the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. So on a more positive note, here are some pictures from the surroundings of a previous spa hotel experience I did and you guys get to read all about it later this week as both the place itself as the surroundings are wonderful and I’ll publish the results of my visit on Friday!

For the nautical theme I wanted to have fashion my way (as always), still sticking to the color scheme and am hence wearing my brown leather jacket from Pull & Bear, a navy blue sweater from Franklin & Marshall as well as a watch and an anchor bracelet from Paul Hewitt.

20161029-dsc02838-edit20161029-dsc0284220161029-dsc02848-edit20161029-dsc02849-edit20161029-dsc02855-220161029-dsc02855Jacket: Pull & Bear
Sweater: Franklin & Marshall
Cap: H&M
Jeans: River Island
Watch: Paul Hewitt
Anchor bracelet: Paul Hewitt
Sneakers: H&M

Photographer: Hugo Hofverberg

1. Stefanie
    Monday November 28th, 2016 at 06:03 PM

this is so true!! i like to be in total control of things too and sometimes you just have to do what you can and let the rest work itself out. it’s amazing you’re able to manage a full time job and a blogging career as well! xoxo

Monday November 28th, 2016 at 11:28 PM

I’m sorry to hear that things did not happened as you plan Thomas! But you have managed to go on against all odds. This pictures are amazing I love the blue behind you. Styling is amazing as always. Xx, Gina

sending big hug and lots of love, Gina

i forgot to mention that this quote is among my favorites.

3. diana
    Monday November 28th, 2016 at 11:35 PM

wow 3 hours, sounds too much for me. I spend only about 20 minutes for my 1 outfit, but of course if we want to go more creative we spend about hour. Usually I spend so much time with real photographers, but my husband is just click click haha

4. Megan
    Monday November 28th, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Great post! Love the optimism especially as I start to do more travel posts!

5. Helen Chik
    Monday November 28th, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Things can always go wrong but sometimes its a great way to see how you deal with challenges and solve problems on the go! Always love your work dude!

Helen xx

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Wow what an adventure and definitely makes for an unforgettable stay there. I’m glad everyone was alright and not too much was damaged at the hotel. The beachside is such a lovely place for photos. But I know what you mean, you had your eye on other locations in the hotel. Life definitely throws curveballs and we definitely have to be flexible and roll with it. The photos turned out beautiful regardless Thomas! Xoxo, Christine

7. Bethany
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Good read! I always hate when things don’t go as planned! Glad everything turned out okay! BTW- all your pictures are great!

http://www.simplybethany.com // Bethany

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Thank GOD you and everyone else was okay form the fire! That’s such a bummer and I totally agree about all the work involved as a blogger. At the end of the day it’s a job like any other. Unlike brands that get a huge production budget and have staff, when bloggers produce a shoot they’re responsible from everything from location scouting, concept, styling, editing, and writing. I’m with you here!

9. Yuena Li
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 01:12 AM

Omgosh that place looks beautiful!! You look so freshhhhhh in that outfit thomas!! 😀

With love,
    Yuena

10. Morgan Klein
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 01:40 AM

These pictures are amazing!! I really love your watch and your entire outfit !!!

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 02:53 AM

While it’s a cliche, everything happens for a reason!
    Nonetheless LOVE the setting and the jacket and watch are my favorites ?

12. Teresa
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 03:10 AM

Way to turn a tough situation into something worthwhile. And that anchor bracelet is a gem. Love it.

13. Camille
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 03:26 AM

Sometimes things happen and you just gotta deal with it! Sorry your plans, well, didn’t go as originally planned! At least you look great!

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 03:42 AM

I know the struggle Thomas! I’ve had to sacrifice my social life to really pursue blogging since I work full time as well, but I’ll be leaving my day job in a week to pursue blogging full time. Sometimes you just need to keep hustling and fake it until you make it. People have this misconception of blogging to be “easy”, but it is work if you want to grow and create better content. I hope you eventually make it to blogging full time since I definitely think you deserve it. 🙂

15. Eric k
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 03:49 AM

i have to agree with you that not everything we is perfect. Sometimes there will be obstacles to prevent us doing what we intent and plan to do. Actually we are so much a like, cause I’m a planner as well and I used go crazy if my plans were effected by someone or something. I deff spent some time to work on myself about 3 years ago and learn how to look for something positive even if something is not my way. I have to say, after long self training, I’m at a better place.
    Your Pics are incredible buddy. love them all.

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 04:41 AM

I always know how much effort you put into your blog just from reading all the quality posts you produced for your readers so this post is the proof of everything I learned. I have utmost respect for you and your dedication to this blogging career of yours. I am very sorry the things didn’t turn out the way you planned but in life we all learn from the experiences no matter if they are good or bad. You’ve learned how professional the hotel staff were and how concerned your readers/friends were after they found out about hotel fire – all these are positive experiences to have from an expected accident. Keep up your great work, Thomas! What you do is amazing. By the way, I really like that leather jacket but I don’t think we have that brand in US (or at least not in Texas :)).

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:28 AM

Ahh you already know how worried I was about you when I saw your Instagram story and then your Instagram photo about it later on. I’m mostly glad you’re alright, but sorry you had to go through so much and fall behind on your work. I know that can end up being so incredibly stressful. Hopefully you’ll get the chance to catch up and get some well-deserved rest (foreign word to us bloggers, eh?) very soon!

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:29 AM

Omggg I saw your IG story about the fire babe! It really sucks when things don’t go as planned but one thing I’m sure of is that I’m so glad and relieved to hear that you are safe and sound! <3 That's what matters most. Great look as always! xoxo, sharon

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:30 AM

Such a great post Thomas. I like your jacket with this look and the location is beautiful.

20. Ullis
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:55 AM

Sinnesrobönen har jag på mitt kylskåp och den tittar jag på ett par gånger i veckan och påminner mig själv 🙂 Det behövs!

21. Laurelle
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 06:09 AM

Oh no!! That’s so frustrating!! But you’re right, things will go wrong and it’s better to accept what you can’t change and focus on the positive and what you can do. Still learning do that, but it’s a journey!! Glad you had better weekend at a spa before this ordeal!!
    Ps- AMEN TO BLOGGING BEING A HECK OF A LOT OF WORK. But it’s so rewarding and worth it 🙂

22. Darci
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 08:14 AM

Wow what an experience! I am sorry to hear about all that, but you’re right nothing goes as planned but everything happens for a reason. That quote you shared is so powerful, one of my favorites. I am the same way though, SUCH a planner, I love writing things down every single day to help ease my scattered brain. But I need to get better at not stressing out when things don’t always work out. Lovely pictures too, beautiful background and cool outfit! Xo, Darci

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 08:52 AM

Oh no! Why did the hotel have to be evacuated? At least you are safe and still made other plans. I hope you will get to return to do a review 🙂

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 09:02 AM

Thomas! So sorry to hear things didn’t go as planned but you made it look great and worked against it all! You and I sounded like we had the same weekend! My shoot and blog didn’t go as planned either! Then my computer crashed causing me unable to post this morning as scheduled! I’m a control freak to but I’m trying to learn to relax and work against the odds. Thanks for sharing!

Linh

25. frank lin
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 09:12 AM

oh Thomas. I can totally feel you! I’m a total control freak too and EVERYTHING needs to be as I planned
    otherwise I’m going crazy. Philipp always tries to calm me down because in the end it is how you already wrote: You can’t change it so you have to live with it and make the best of it.

Luckily nothing worse happened…

xx frank

26. Martin
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 09:59 AM

So sorry to hear that your weekend didn’t go as planned. Life is always going to throw obstacles in our way, we just need to find a way around the unexpected as you’ve done so on this occasion. Great post, fashion and photos as always! 🙂

27. Steph
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 02:20 PM

Such a great post! I can totally relate to wanting to be in control & sometimes life just doesn’t work out that way.

Loving your look though. The watch and bracelet look perfect together!

-Steph

28. Danielle
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 02:47 PM

Ahhh a fellow control freak. I feel you on needing to have EVERYTHING in order but I, too, have *started* to learn to accept the things I cannot change. Such a powerful lesson that definitely cannot be learned in a day; baby steps for us controllers, haha!

xx, Danielle | Pineapple & Prosecco

29. Mariann Yip
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:16 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I totally agree with adopting the mentality of accepting things that you cannot control or change. It’s all about mentality 🙂

30. gracie
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:24 PM

I am a total control freak so that situation would have stressed me out as well. As I know you have heard it before….but at least everyone was ok, is the good part of it. Nonetheless sorry your weekend did not go as planned. Your post is great, love the look & the blue skies !
    xx, gracie

31. michenn
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 05:24 PM

I feel like people don’t realize how much work goes into this, especially if you’re working a full time job as well. It’s like you’re working full time and blogging full time and your mind becomes consumed with what content/shoot/etc all the things you need to do or know. Sometimes it can be overwhelming. Thanks for sharing and it sucks that there was a fire at your hotel but I’m glad you’re safe!

michenn

32. Julia
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 07:02 PM

I’m a bit of a control freak too and it’s so frustrating when things don’t go as planned, especially when you have a busy schedule. But, the main thing is that you and everyone else were OK and you managed to work around it and share a great post!
    Julia x

33. Bryanna
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 07:46 PM

Things never go according to plan ever haha. I’ve learned to become the master of “winging it”. Such a great post and glad you got everything done!

Bryanna | Coming in Clutch

34. Lady Goldapple
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 08:07 PM

I want to complement you on your hard work. Great job! Fitting a blogging career with a 9-5 job isn’t easy. I’m a student and me too struggle sometimes with my schedule, so I totally relate
    X Charissa

Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 08:11 PM

I’m actually quite similar to you and need to plan out everything and schedule things in way in advance, but I’ve learned to calm down a bit and to ultimately expect the unexpected. I’m so sorry to hear that the hotel had a fire and changed your plans! Also that you had to wait an hour in the cold. I’m sure that experience wasn’t so pleasurable but sometimes we have to make the most of what we got and I think that’s all the really counts in the end.

XO Jenn

36. Hadasah Love (Style to Love)
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 08:14 PM

Love everything about this post! So cute!
    Love, Hadasah Love
    http://www.styletolove.com | Instagram @hadasahlove

37. Kathryn
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 09:08 PM

Oh my goodness, what a weekend! So glad you and everyone in the hotel was okay. This post has so much truth in it — sometimes as much as we plan we can’t plan for everything or control everything! Even though your weekend didn’t go as planned it seems like you’re taking everything in stride. Also, I can’t get enough of your nautical themed bracelet!
    Xx, Kathryn

38. Josie
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 09:37 PM

First of all glad to know everyone in the hotel was okay! I’ve been a control freak all my life and I can be a real pain when things don’t turn out the way I’ve planned in my head! But I’m always learning the hard way … and it actually humbles me to know that I’m not in control of everything! Good or Bad things will happen and how react to them shapes the future!

Love your look as always!

Bisous, Josie

39. Ed from My Dapper Self
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 10:55 PM

It really sucks what happened and how your plans were ruined. You’re a tough guy, though, so of course you made the most of it. I find nowadays we have just so many things to do (as you said, a full time job and blog at the same time can be challenging), that preparing things in advance just makes sense, but it’s gotten to the point where every damn thing is planned. Where’s the fun? Need to work on this myself and this is a good reminder.

40. Isabel
    Tuesday November 29th, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Dear, love the way you accept things that you can’t control, that’s the only way to keep doing other fab things like these amazing photos with this beautiful background 🙂 you know how I much I love the beach 🙂
    I have to learn to be more like you!
    Love the blues on you, you look gorgeous as always!

Isabel

41. Cece Lam
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 02:16 AM

that watch is incredible on you, my thomas~~!!! have a great day over there xoxo

42. Min
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 02:38 AM

Thank gosh you were safe with the fire that happened there! It’s crazy the timing of it too! Thankful everyone was okay with that whole ordeal!

43. Sarah
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 03:26 AM

Sometimes things don’t go the way we plan, but that’s okay! This is still an awesome post – love all the photos.

Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 06:25 AM

wow that must have been a crazy experience! glad you are ok!! great outfit as always, it totally matches the backdrop 🙂

45. Leila D.
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 06:30 AM

Everything happens for a reason and I don’t think that we really control much 🙂 Love your look!

Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 07:08 AM

Wow, I did not know that you were also working a 9-5 as well! I don’t know how you do it all! Very impressed. Sometimes, you are right, it does not all work out as planned. Sometimes it is even better though, and that is comforting.

47. Candace Hampton
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 06:50 PM

That color scheme goes so nicely with that watch. Trust me, I’m also behind on a few projects while managing not 1, but 2 jobs. It gets tough sometimes, but we can’t stress ourselves on the unchangeable 🙂

Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 07:29 PM

Oh my goodness, I’m happy to hear everyone is okay after what happened! Despite the unfortunate turn of events, you’ve pulled off a beautiful post and pics. Well done!

xoxo, Jo

Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 08:19 PM

Whoa. I’m glad you’re ok?! It could have been worse right? Sometimes we just have to roll with the punches and make use of what we have. I’m totally like that too and understand you 100%, but it’s ok to be flexible!

50. Lolita Mas
    Wednesday November 30th, 2016 at 08:46 PM

Whoa, I’m sorry to hear about all these things that happened to you! You are so strong!

Thursday December 1st, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Wow that first shot is stunning. A lot goes into what you do and I totally appreciate that. I don’t have a crew myself, but that sounds so wonderful for you. So much more creative freedom. But also a lot more planning. I take my own photos and edit them too, which means I only have to coordinate my own schedule. If the weather sucks, it throws off my whole shoot. If it’s too windy, starts to rain, or I can’t feel my hands anymore while shooting, I take way less photos. A lot goes into a blog post, but no one really knows how much aside from maybe all the other bloggers haha.

52. Lily
    Thursday December 1st, 2016 at 04:17 PM

Oh gosh, this post really hit home with me. People don’t realize how much work a blog really is, and all the planning in the world won’t always make things go smoothly. Thank you for helping me feel human after reading this! I think you’re doing just amazing, so keep it up!! Xx

53. Miki
    Thursday December 1st, 2016 at 09:12 PM

Wow. If be so sad to arrive at a spa or hotel only to find I can’t take the photos I wanted. Usually I only shoot where I’m planning to visit, but even then the weather can be a little unplanned for. When I went to Capri, I really wanted to photograph the blue grotto, but the tide was too high to go, so it didn’t work out, but an unplanned boat tour brought me to one that’s prettier, rarer and much harder to find (because it’s not a regular run tour!), so sometimes you end up with something even better, and I hope you stumble across an even better and amazing resort, completely unplanned but conveniently ready for photos. 🙂

Miki

54. Open Kloset By Karina
    Friday December 2nd, 2016 at 01:47 AM

This is Amazing:) Love your Look and that Watch is super Cool:)
    How are you Thomas?
    Love Kisses
    Open Kloset By Karina
    New:http://openklosetfashion.blogspot.pt/2016/12/adlib-restaurante-and-art-de-noel.html?m=1#more

55. Kirsten Thyra
    Friday December 2nd, 2016 at 03:18 PM

so scary there was a fire! Glad everyone is okay and your photos look gorgeous 🙂
    x

Friday December 2nd, 2016 at 07:01 PM

Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. Life is unexpected that way. Glad everyone is safe thou!

57. Darlene
    Saturday December 3rd, 2016 at 04:10 AM

Hi thomas! I know what you mean when things don’t go the way you wanted them to. I’m sure something great and awesome will come your way. I do blog full time and my plan never gets in order. mostly because I can’t wake up super early (but I always put the alarm clock on 6:30am lol) cheers and hope you will have a great weekend!

x
    thenewgirl

Monday December 5th, 2016 at 08:12 AM

Such a great post as always! I like to follow a schedule always especially as a blogger, and when things don’t go as planned I do stress and get upset. But sometimes I need to remember that it’ll be okay! Have to always stay positive 🙂

xo, Samira

59. isidora
    Tuesday December 6th, 2016 at 12:37 AM

that was so inspiring! there i a glad to know mre about you by your hones post and this positive tots are reading my mind! i love your outfit too and i am so happy to conect with your blogg as well for more inspiring posts!

60. Rachel
    Wednesday December 7th, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Thomas you always have the best style. Also you are always so inspiring.
    xoxo, Rachel Vogt

Saturday December 10th, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Im sorry to hear things did not came as you planned but no worries because good things always come but they take time!! Love the look

xo