Christmas in Prague

Christmas in Prague

Travel

Each year, right before Christmas, I go on a trip with my mother to get into the perfect Christmas mood. Last year we went to Vienna and this year we decided on Prague. I must admit (somewhat ashamedly) that I thought I was going to some backwards ex-Soviet republic, but to my surprise I found a modern, trendy, hospitable and absolutely gorgeous city which was like a fairytale to walk around in.

Of course the main reason we went here were all the Christmas markets out of which the largest were on the Old Town Square as well as on Wenceslas Square and there were smaller markets every here and there no matter where in the city you were. These pictures are a mix of here and there, but they all convey the spirit of Christmas.

And yeah, well, what can I say, at least they had smoked those chips really well. But make sure to try local delicacies, such as the thin bread rolls baked over open fire in the picture below.

And then there are ornaments. I have as a tradition to always buy a Christmas ornament to remember my trips by. One day when I’m all grown up and will actually have a Christmas tree, these ornaments will remind me of all my lovely trips around the world. This time I bought both a hand painted ornament with some local architecture as well as one of these angels.
When you’re tired of Christmas stuff (you will get tired after a while), explore the areas surrounding the Prague Castle. With it’s immense history and beautiful architecture, not unique only to the castle, but to all of Prague, you can spend hours just walking around in the narrow alleys and over beautiful bridges, most notably, the Charles Bridge.

If you’re a narcissist like me, you’ll enjoy this maze. The less enjoyable part is that it took forever for me to actually find my way out of it.

Just next to the maze there was a lookout tower built for an industrial exhibition in 1891 (just as the maze was). I am DEATHLY afraid of heights when they’re open air solutions like these. The only thing standing between me and a huge leap into death were these bars and I’m surprised I actually could hold my hands steady enough to take this picture with a wonderful view over the Charles Bridge.

The Castle itself isn’t just A castle. It’s a bundle of castles built in different eras and they actually compile into an imperial city which was secluded in the old days when the Habsburgs still ruled the place. Oh how I miss those days…

If you wanna get drunk, that’s no problem. There’s alcohol everywhere and it’s dirt cheap as well.

I dunno who wins the posing contest here. I’m trying to look as stern as he does though. When walking down from the Prague Castle, you sooner or later get to the famous Charles Bridge. The swans at its shore were scary as heck (I was attacked by one when I was a kid, hence the trauma), but make for a pretty addition to the scenery.

To treat ourselves to something special, we ate at the adorable Restaurant Ungelt. A Michelin Star restaurant with delicious food and immensely friendly staff. We thought, what the heck, we’re worth this. When we saw the bill we were kind of shocked though. A three course meal for two persons for a total of 70€!!! That is like… CHEAP. Everything else was cheap too. A taxi from the airport to our hotel located in Prague 1 (yes, they go from like 1-8, just like the arrondissements in Paris) cost 15€ and I was appalled when I went to Louis Vuitton and found out my bag actually cost 200€ less in Prague than it did in London. Talk about being bummed!

So if you want cheap (and GREAT) shopping on top of that wonderful Christmas feeling from all the markets while you take in the beautiful architecture all around, Prague is my tip for your next Christmas trip. I bet it’s beautiful in the summer too, a fact I need to check out soon. I lit one of these candles (in walnuts) together with this adorable girl to thank universe. Universe certainly has given me so very much this year.

Merry Christmas my dear friends, but no worries, I will keep you updated with new posts all Christmas long!

Thursday December 22nd, 2016 at 07:29 PM

Wow, Christmas in Prague looks and sounds amazing! I am also really loving your coat — can I have it?! Haha. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday with your mom, Thomas! I look forward to seeing more of your holiday adventures on here, and can’t wait to catch up with you soon. Happy Holidays! Sending you lots of love from LA xoxoxo, sharon

2. Lucy Hernández
    Thursday December 22nd, 2016 at 09:45 PM

What a wonderful tradition!! I’d love to do something like that with my little’s! How old wr you when you started taking these trips? And I’ve always wanted to go to Prague, I’ve heard great things. But like you not exactly sure what to expect ???‍♀️ Thanks for all the great insight and happy holidays!

3. Charlie
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 01:06 AM

Hey man !! Thank you for sharing this post !! Now I’m 100 % sure I will go to Prague this 2017 ! Your blog is awesome

Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 01:11 AM

I’m just smiling so much as I read about your adventure and see all these delightful pictures. I really enjoyed your instastories, and really wished I was there with you, strolling around , seeing the many charming Christmas sights. I think the maze with totally freak me out because we have similar spots like this around here , only made of corn ( seriously) that I am not a fan of . I love how you get ornaments every year . My mom always did this for me and my sister and now we collect for our children. There is nothing like filling up a tree with lovely memories. I can’t go without saying how truly dashing you look in each picture ( and in your instastories) and I look forward to following all your future adventures and achievements. Thank you so much for sharing , Tommy. Xoxoxo

Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 01:39 AM

I’ve always wanted to go to Prague and this post has me reconsidering it again. It was really helpful to see what it’s like through your eyes. Glad you enjoyed!

Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 02:37 AM

There are so many beautiful places in this world I would love to visit but honestly Prague was never on my list till I learned everything about this amazing city through your eyes. I’ll definitely want to go there one day very soon (hopefully in summer time when it isn’t too cold ?). I absolutely love all the details you shared about this city along with those stunning images you captured (are you sure you aren’t a professional photographer?). I am also so happy you were able to spend some quality time with mom during this very festive time of the year!

Thank you so much for sharing another great post with us, Thomas!

With love,
    Joanne

7. Eric k
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 03:57 AM

Thomas, i have to be honest here and tell you that, as i was reading this Blog i realized that i have missed your articles. Truly my favorite to read and feel like Im traveling with you or experiencing different things the same way you are experiencing them. I absolutely love Prague and i think the entire country should write you a big check for convincing me to put this place into my bucket list.
    Stay strong buddy, and we can’t wait see you back in action.

8. Mariann Yip
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 04:25 AM

It’s so funny that you went to Prague a month after me! Did you try the goulash?? I definitely miss the markets and the food!

Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 06:47 AM

Love this little slice of life in Prague. Such an entertaining travel guide. Good to know it is an affordable place to go. Also it’s so great that you take a yearly Xmas vacation with your mom. So cute! And those little Xmas stalls are so adorable. I too find birds scary AF – I mean they can fly and jump on you. Let’s just say I had an incident when I was younger too haha.

10. gracie
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 03:29 PM

Prague at Christmas looks amazing. Truly magical. Your photos are so good. Are you taking them yourself ? I love that you are on this trip with your mom, such a special tradition. Have a wonderful Christmas & can’t wait to see more !
    xx,gracie

11. Martina caruso
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 05:54 PM

Sono appena arrivata sul tuo blog davvero bellissimo… è molto belli gli scatti di questo articolo!!

Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 06:19 PM

I have SO been looking forward to this post (you know that)! It certainly didn’t disappoint. The photos are spectacular, and it looks like you had an incredible time. I love that you had the idea of getting an ornament in each place you travel. That’s so creative (and I totally might steal it from you whenever I actually begin to travel myself). Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! I hope that you may have more photos in the near future. Oh! And Merry Christmas 🙂

13. Natalia K
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 07:14 PM

These markets look amazing I would love to go on a shopping spree there and the ornament is so pretty have a lovely Christmas

14. Leila D.
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 08:34 PM

Love the photos, lovely place. I have never been there before, maybe I’ll go one day. You should visit Sarajevo sometime, it’s also very beautiful. Happy Friday!

15. Luke
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Wow, beautifully shot Thomas and some great tips and suggestions for Prague even if you aren’t there at Christmas time.

16. diana
    Friday December 23rd, 2016 at 11:34 PM

It is so nice that you had to travel with your mom, I wish I could join my holiday season with my family, but they live to far. Christmas is so beautiful time of the year in Europe

Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 01:16 AM

First of all, I would like to say that I am happy to see YOU back here! :))) this sounds like an exciting trip to your mom, I love traveling with my mom too! I have never visited this place, but I dream of going one day, especially now that I have seen your beautiful pictures. By the way, your coat is so beautiful and looks wonderful on you!!!! as always your styling is so amazing…. Xx, Gina

Happy holidays, send you the biggest hug!

Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 03:04 AM

Welcome back 🙂 It must be so nice to be able to travel every Christmas with your mom, and it seems like there is so much to do and see in Prague! Thanks for your thoughtful comments always <3 Wishing you a Merry Christmas from Japan!

19. Cece Lam
    Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 03:08 AM
  20. Katherine
    Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 04:15 AM

These are great photos!

21. Helen Chik
    Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I was meant to visit Prague two years ago but fell ill in Budapest so never made it! I’m so jealous because the city looks amazing and that architecture is just so beautiful!!! Have a fabulous Christmas there Thomas!!

Helen xx

22. Aldora
    Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 02:39 PM

WOW Prague looks like an amazing place to hang out Thomas! And everything looks so magical in your post including that maze! Hope you’ll enjoy your weekend 😉

23. Annelies
    Saturday December 24th, 2016 at 03:26 PM

Lovely place, it’s on my bucketlist for sure! 🙂

Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 12:05 AM

This looks like an amazing trip! I’ve always wanted to see the Christmas markets in Prague 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Xx,

Lauren

Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 01:18 AM

OMG Thomas, I’m so jealous of you! Christmas in Prague looks like a dream come true to me. I love everything about Christmas so I would probably stay in the market all day and eat and see everything Christmas related. That castle is amazing too! Do they allow photoshoots? Haha, so beautiful and wonderfully captured. I hope to visit one day!

26. Yuena Li
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 03:40 AM

Absolutely loved this post. This little marketplace seemed to have so many things I WOULD love to check out. And I’ve always wanted to celebrate Christmas in a different country just for the experience. And that sunset was absolutely breath taking. I’m still waiting for a smile from you!!

With love,
    Yuena

27. Maggie
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 06:15 AM

I’m so jealous you got to spend Christmas in Prague! I’ve always wanted to travel to Europe, but never had the chance and it’s so cool you get to travel with your mom.

Initially when I read your comment about buying Christmas ornaments, I thought, “Why would he buy something so fragile” to take back? But what you said was so beautiful – to have a tree filled with ornaments from around the world. I think I’m going to start doing that! Haha. 😛

Merry Christmas!

xoxo,

Maggie S.

❤Clothestomidnight.com

Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Such a wonderful Christmas post!
    I really like the text and photos!
    …..Thank you for this festive mood… Happy to read you!

29. frank lin
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Thomas, the photos are incredible!
    Prague is on my list for such a long time :(!!

xx frank

30. Everest
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 05:40 PM

The Christmas spirit is really strong in Prague and I think it looks beautiful! I was in Prague in summer and I think it looks way prettier in winter than in Summer from your pictures. I would definitely return in Winter for these festive mood!

Kisses from Singapore,
    Everest

31. Belle
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 06:43 PM

Thomas I think it’s absolutely beautiful that you can take a trip each year with your mom!!! That’s so sweet. I haven’t been to Vienna but I love markets and would love to explore a Christmas market. Christmas stuff can get a little overwhelming- I definitely agree. How much do handpainted ornaments go for there?? They are gorgoeus! Merry Christmas!!

32. Sofia
    Sunday December 25th, 2016 at 09:57 PM

OMG the christmas market looks so amazing!! If its one thing i miss about Europe its the christmas markets. In the US they’re more about decorating their houses but there aren’t a lot of festivities going on.

33. Shalini
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 12:30 AM

Thomas, your pictures are seriously so beautiful! I felt like I was in Prague! Prague and Iceland are two places I have on my list to visit in 2017. Thank you so much for sharing these…. so many great ideas! Happy holidays! xx shalini

34. Anju
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 02:39 AM

Christmas in Prague sounds amazing. Adding it to my bucket list, hopefully next Xmas trip. Thanks for your tips on making it a trip for Shopping and dining 😀
    xo
    Anju

35. Candace Hampton
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 04:44 AM

What a beautiful place to visit before the holidays! Visiting here would have definitely put me in the Christmas spirit. It’s so beautiful there 🙂

36. Laurelle
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 05:42 AM

Oh my goodness! All of your pictures made me want to travel there so badly! It looks beautiful, and all the food and handmade things looked so charming and wonderful! Hope you had a great trip and a wonderful Christmas!
    -Laurelle

Monday December 26th, 2016 at 09:02 AM

I love Prague so much!! There is so much to see. We just wandered around, yet I feel like we missed most of the tourist attractions. We walked around the grounds of the castle, but I think that is it. I’d love to go back again one day. The food is delicious and as you say, sooooo cheap!
    I read your encounter with swans, but I think that photo is lovely!!

Monday December 26th, 2016 at 09:58 AM

Hello Thomas!!!
    Really nice idea to take a trip before Christmas, and go on the little markets. Prague is very beautiful and I never saw yet.
    Hope you can enjoy all time with your Mum, wish you a happy Holidays, dear.
    xx Eva from Italy

39. Morgan Klein
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 03:11 PM

This trip looks amazing! I love the tradition that you have for Christmas where you buy an ornament from each place that you visit. So cool! You must have a ton!

40. Lolita Mas
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 04:21 PM

I dream about visiting Prague in Winter, hopefully next year I will do it!

41. Manda
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 04:43 PM

This town is so charming! I love the entire feel of your shots and I have the same tradition when picking out ornaments!

Manda | http://EvocativelyChosen.com

42. Elizabeth Lee
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 08:08 PM

For me, Prague is almost too pretty to be real. Your photos just confirmed that this city is a dream! It must have been even more stunning with the Christmas decorations up. The hand painted ornaments are so special and I love the idea of collecting them as souvenirs to remind you of your trips. And, do you always look this stylish when you travel??

Love, Liz
    stylewich.com

43. Open Kloset By Karina
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 08:51 PM

Dear Thomas,
    Happy that you are back:) Love Prague, i was there twice, Beautiful And Cheap:)
    Very Similar to Budapest i can say:)
    Your Photos are Stunning as Always and Very Sweet:) Lovely Christmas Style 🙂
    Sending you Love and Kisses
    Open Kloset By Karina
    New:http://openklosetfashion.blogspot.pt/2016/12/costes-downtown-michelin-starred.html?m=1#more

Monday December 26th, 2016 at 09:49 PM

Ahh the rolls, cookies and food all look yummy ? the scenery is my favorite ?

Monday December 26th, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Ong Prague looks amazing during the winter and it’s such a cosy place to spend your Christmas! I was in Prague earlier this year during summer, but it looked completely different! I will try to visit the city again during winter next time! Thanks for sharing Thomas!

Xx, Jessie

46. Bryanna
    Monday December 26th, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Oh my goodness, yes!! I’m terrified of birds and my friends and I passed that same place where you were and she wanted to pet/feed the swans… I was petrified haha. I miss Prague’s Christmas markets so bad! Such a great place to get unique and festive gifts. Your post brought so many memories back, so thank you!

Bryanna | Coming in Clutch

Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Happy (belated) Christmas, Thomas! What a lovely tradition to have with your mom! Thanks for sharing your experience and your awesome photos of Prague. I clearly need to visit this beautiful city, not only because it’s inexpensive (which is a very good reason to go, indeed), but because there looks like so many fun things to do! p.s. I really, really want one of those gingerbread man cookies 🙂

48. Brittany
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 03:10 AM

How beautiful!!! You’ve absolutely sparked my interest in Prague.

outofofficeny.com

Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 05:05 AM

I’ve never been to Prague, but it looks like you had an amazing time. Christmas is always a great time to travel and you have such great photos to show for it! Happy holidays!!
    Jordan XX

50. michenn
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 02:38 PM

Wow, that Christmas market looks so clean!! So different from the ones in NYC, which are so hectic and crowded. Prague looks beautiful, I especially like the photo of all the swans…it looks so dreamy! Those gingerbread cookies also look pretty delicious. I wish I could visit! It looks like it’s an amazing place to spend Christmas!

michenn

Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 04:31 PM

Your photos are so beautiful – it really looks like a fairytale. You truly captured so many special moments. And I just wanted to say that I love how you compare you blog to IKEA LOL.
    Happy Holidays!

52. Lily Rose
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 05:28 PM

Every time I visit your post, you always make me want to pack my bag and travel. This place does look like a Christmas fairytale. So nice and the pasty goods make me feel cozy. Great idea to take a trip for the holidays Thomas!

-Lily from With Love Lily Rose

53. Jacqueline
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 06:51 PM

That’s so awesome that you guys do that! I would love to go to Prague. It looks so stunning. My former Roomie is from there and she always talked about how amazing it is!

54. Amanda Sorenson
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 08:30 PM

THOMAS! Prague looks amazing – I am so envious of you for getting to spend Christmas there. I need to plan a trip ASAP and do literally everything you did in these images – so stunning.

Thanks for sharing!
    xo,

55. Rachel Holliday
    Tuesday December 27th, 2016 at 11:55 PM

I’m so glad that you conquered your swan fear and your fear of heights to take these photos as they are absolutely gorgeous! The Prague Christmas Markets look like the perfect place to get into the Christmas spirit and those hand painted Christmas tree decorations are so beautiful. And you win the pose off hands down!!

Rachel xx

56. Miki
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Love your outfit! Oh, your photos take me back to Prague. I haven’t been there for about 10 years. Those holiday photos are amazing. I was only there in the summer and can only imagine how stunning this all was in person! Yum – that bread roll and the smoked chips sound so yummy too! I hope you had an amazing time with your mom! 🙂

Miki

Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 02:22 AM

Omg can your Christmas be any better!? This sounds like a great tradition to do with your mom! I love it so much! The colors and the pictures are amazing! I need to have a Christmas tradition! This is amazing! I don’t have one since I moved so this will be on my list?

Linh

58. Katya Bychkova
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 03:57 AM

I’ve been to Prague many years ago when I was a teenager and it was a wonderful trip! I really loved the old city and all of the national desserts! It seems like you had an amazing trip too! Thank you for sharing your amazing photo report! It’s been such pleasure reading your informative blog post!

59. francesca
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 04:43 AM

thats such a cute idea to get an ornament to remember the trip! love these pics. I wish i could visit
    francesca
    Frank Vinyl : A California Fashion Blog

Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 05:58 AM

Prague looks so beautiful and it seems like you had quite the adventure during the holidays. 🙂 I’ve heard so many great things about Prague and I can see why now. Prague looks like there’s so much rich history! I would love to try the mirror maze you were at haha and I’m just drooling over the food that you got to eat in Prague. Happy holidays and hope you had a Merry Christmas!

61. Ravayna
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 07:38 AM

Astounding that Prague is so cheap! I wish I could do my shopping there! Looks like you had a lovely time, Thanks for sharing dear!

62. Ana Vukosavljevic
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 09:07 AM

Christmas in Prague looks like so much fun!
    I heard and read about it soooo much! I need to experience it myself definitaley 😀

Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 01:59 PM

I love that you buy a new ornament every time you travel! I hope I can start this tradition soon as it does sound so lovely to have a whole tree one day decorated with my memories and talk to my children about it!

64. Tandya
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 06:42 PM

I love that you and your mother take an annual trip with each other around this time. It’s traditions like that, that make the holidays special. Prague looks so beautiful around this time. You phots are absolutely stunning! Happy holidays!

65. Alexandra
    Wednesday December 28th, 2016 at 10:57 PM

O.M.G All the food looks AHHHMAZING! I love how festive the town is dressed up for holidays! The little food and artisan stands! So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with your mom! What a lovely tradition!

alexandrachloe.com

66. Lacey
    Thursday December 29th, 2016 at 12:20 AM

Can I just tell you that Prague has been at the top of my travel list for some time now! Oh, and I also collect ornaments from all my travels for my Christmas tree. Kindred spirits you and I! I actually thought about doing Prague in the summer when I’m in Europe to visit my bestie who now lives in Italy. But, now you’ve made me want to do Prague at Christmas! Who knows, maybe I’ll do both 😉

Love this post Thomas!

xoxo,
    Lacey | http://www.stateoflace.com

67. Jessica
    Thursday December 29th, 2016 at 05:16 AM

You captured some amazing moments! Beautiful pictures! I felt I was right there with you!

XO, Jessica

68. Charissa
    Thursday December 29th, 2016 at 02:21 PM

I saw your lovely snaps on instastories already! Prague definitely looks like a great city, can’t wait to visit it myself. Those gingerbread-men look so adorable by the way, never had one myself.. but they do look very instaworthy. XO

69. ellen kim
    Thursday December 29th, 2016 at 06:46 PM

I always wanted to visit Prague! What a gorgeous city. Looks like you’re having an amazing time. Can’t wait to see more photos!!

xo,
    Spreadfashioblog.com

70. Darlene
    Thursday December 29th, 2016 at 10:11 PM

first of all! Happy belated christmas! Your photos are like a dream christmas. I always wanna go to Prague, consider yourself lucky you live in Europe! I wished that you had an amazing holiday also you had fun with your social media break. I actually did that and slowly getting back again. hahaha anyhoo can’t wait to read more of your blogs!

x
    Darlene

71. Natasha du Chen
    Friday December 30th, 2016 at 05:56 AM

So beautiful town! Prague is the best

72. MadCatFashion
    Friday December 30th, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Wow! Such a gorgeous places and photos! I have never been to Prague yet even if I lived so close all my life.
    madcat.fashion

Friday December 30th, 2016 at 11:12 PM

wow! what a beautiful spot! i really want to go travel here! so jealous, thanks for sharing!!

xo samira,

74. Danielle
    Saturday December 31st, 2016 at 09:43 PM

Love that this is a tradition you share with your mom! I am always so envious of how easy it is to travel between all of the beautiful cities living in Europe! Prague sounds like a dream. Hope you had a wonderful holiday love!

xx, Danielle | Pineapple & Prosecco

Sunday January 1st, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Europe is always good idea to make the cristmass mood!
    We have wonderful markets in Cologne as well. I like travel as well but Prague it is one of my next destinatiions!

76. dbrodowski
    Monday January 2nd, 2017 at 02:09 PM
  77. Sarah
    Thursday January 5th, 2017 at 05:41 PM

This looks so serene, I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Monday January 9th, 2017 at 01:18 PM

Prague is on my bucket list!!! Looks so beautiful and that you have so much fun.
    I may still your idea of collecting Xmas ornaments from different parts the world so cool!! LOVE IT

79. Andreea Birsan
    Wednesday January 11th, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Prague is so beautiful during Christmas! Everything looks so festive! I really hope you had a great time in there, and can I steal your camel coat?

Andreea,