Scandinavian minimalism

Scandinavian minimalism

As a Scandinavian I’m often intrigued by how other people use the word “Scandinavian” in everything from fashion, interiors and even food. If I were to define “Scandinavian” it would actually be quite hard as it’s not just one country, but three and five if you include Finland and Iceland which are part of the Nordic countries. There, you got yourself a geography lesson for free, albeit unasked for. What defines Scandinavian fashion for me is the minimalism and clean cuts and sober prints (rather, no prints). Hence I’ve put together a top to toe Scandi outfit for you to enjoy.

I find myself talking about Swedish fashion a lot, but for once I thought I’d let our Danish neighbors enter at least part of an outfit. This cardigan is from the Danish brand Minimum which offers a huge variety of affordable fashion for both men and women and is perfect for this spring weather which gave us a glimpse of summer on Friday, but brought us back to reality this week with low temperatures.

Enough about the Danes. The tee (which is actually long sleeved) is from a Swedish company called Clubs and Spades who aim to make it as easy for men as it is for women to dress well. They offer a clean design and great fit at a good price and if you check their website you’ll see that it’s not all about gray.

To complete the minimalistic outfit I’ve chosen this Morris watch in stainless steel and mesh which adds timeless elegance to your outfit and yes, before you point it out, I’m wearing it upside down solely for the purpose of the pictures. To add some vibrant details I thought I’d toss in some bracelets from Hero of Sweden. Hero of Sweden stands up for human equality, hope and all the everyday heroes around the world, just as I do, or at least, try my best to do. You can get 15% off any Morris watch on Stayhard until May 31st with the code MORRIS15 so happy shopping, friends!

Cardigan: Minimum
Long Sleeved Tee: Clubs and Spades
Watch: Morris
Bracelets: Hero of Sweden
J
eans: H&M

Shoes: Jim Rickey

Photographer: Emil Eriksson

Monday May 8th, 2017 at 07:38 PM

Wait…I actually needed that geography lesson haha. I’ve always wondered what was considered Scandinavian vs Nordic! Also I love the outfit – minimalism at its best!

Monday May 8th, 2017 at 07:58 PM

You are a living example to help us understand how is the Scandinavian style 🙂 I like your looks simple and clean. The content taht you write make often effect on me, to tell you frankly, because you’re getting yourself as a person.
    Beautiful cardigan and clock (I have a similar one)

3. Kirsten Wendlandt
    Monday May 8th, 2017 at 08:38 PM

I love this casual look! The cardigan layered over the tee is just perfect. It’s a great minimalist but still incredibly stylish outfit. xox

Monday May 8th, 2017 at 09:10 PM

I’m so glad you gave us that tidbit of information. I was enlightened! I learn so much from your posts. Now I know about Scandinavian style. Your style is so sleek. I love it. You make simple look so chic!

5. Taylor Mobley
    Monday May 8th, 2017 at 09:17 PM

I definitely see people through the phrase “Scandinavian style” around a lot. Thanks for that little lesson! You have the best minimalistic style — im loving the watch especially.

6. Emily
    Monday May 8th, 2017 at 09:29 PM

I enjoy that bit of geography, I find anything history related fascinating! Neat how the outfit is reflective of the difference countries. That Hero of Sweden brand seems awesome, I love finding companies like that to support for reasons more than just awesome products. I’m also a sucker for a minimalist outfit like this!

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 01:29 AM

Thank you for the geography lesson! Nice tee too. I love tee shirts for any casual occasion. Great Scandinavian look.

8. Claudia Salinas
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 05:25 AM

Thanks for the geography lesson hehe! YOU are the embodiment of Scandinavian fashion, I always visit your blog for inspo when I’m in need of minimal and clean aesthetics. Great effortless outfit and a huge fan of that Morris watch! xx C.

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 05:37 AM

Minimalistic casual looks are my favorite! They’re so effortless and comfy. I kind of of want that shirt haha it looks so soft and would be a perfect basic. Does it come in white?

Btw I love the second photo, the architecture of that building is beautiful and you of course, always looking great!

Iliana | http://www.sophisticatedfashionista.com

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 07:19 AM

A lot of the brands you mention sound like things my husband would love. He has very simple, classic style. I have a feeling if I showed him your cardigan and tee he’d comment on how cool you style is! I enjoy hearing about local brands you enjoy!

Stephanie | http://www.dotsandhoney.com

11. Gabriela Vera
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 07:27 AM

Thomas this outfit looks awesome on you. I finally know what Scandinavian style looks like. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Gabriela Vera

12. Martina caruso
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 09:06 AM

Molto bello il design del tuo orologio… adorabile anche la location di queste foto !
    bravo👌👌👌

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Knowing the proper definition of Scandinavian fashion, I am definitely a huge fan, as I love anything minimalist, from my clothes to my accessories! That being said, I need to head to Minimum asap especially if they have things for girls too! Also, I think it’s amazing how Hero of Sweden supports human equality. Everyone deserves to be treated fairly, no matter what and having a brand back that is outstanding.

P.S. Believe it or not, I was a huge geography nerd in grade school, so anything new learned is a huge bonus for me. 🙂

14. Westerby
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Fennoscandia.

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 01:05 PM

As for me, i like color bombs 🙂 I need just more bright colors in my life!
    But I really like your minimalism, for some people it suits very well. It was really interesting post! Thank you so much!

16. Open Kloset
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 04:37 PM

Hey Thomas,
    How are you?
    Love Minimalist Fashion as well, Sometimes Less Is More:) Depends on my Mood , Lol:)
    Just Love your Cardigan From Minimum, I checked out the Brand and Loved the Female Line as Well:) But I will shop for my Hubby some Nice Stuffs:) He Loves Simple and Minimalist pieces as well:)
    The Watch from Morris, Super Cool, I didn’t knew the Brand, but so Happy that you Showed:) Love watches so much:)
    The Bracelet fits So Well with the Watch:)
    You always show the Most Amazing Brands, For sure:)
    Love Kisses
    Happy Tuesday
    Karina

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 05:43 PM

Alright, you know I’m tired when I read “Danish brand Minimum” as “Danish bran muffin”. That’s embarrassing. However, what’s not embarrassing is your knowledge of Scandinavian history and style. I love the simplicity to this look and how it follows that trend this area is known for (although I’m sure even my views on the popular Scandinavian styles are skewed). It’s so neat how you’re always finding local fashion brands to share with us!

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 07:05 PM

This is so helpful to learn more about Scandinavian style, as I didn’t know much about it. Minimalistic looks are some of my favorites, and you pull it off so well!

Xx,

Lauren // http://www.mylifeaslaurr.com

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 08:09 PM

i fell in love with that cardigan you’re wearing when i saw it on your insta thomas! this past weekend it was actually cold here and i got to whip mine out too. to be quite honest with you i was really excited because it had been scorching hot all week prior to that lol. loving this minimalistic look on you! xo, sharon

@stylelullaby

Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 10:16 PM

I actually needed that geography lesson on what makes up Scandinavian countries so thank you! I love the minimalism of the look. I am all about basics but making them look effortless which you always do. This tee with the denim and chunky cardigan is so my jam! The watch is beautiful and I love how honest you are about how we have to position certain pieces to make them more photographable. =). This is seriously a perfect go-to look or everyday uniform! xoxo, Christine

21. Rachel Vogt
    Tuesday May 9th, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Love this scandi minimalist outfit that you put together. Love your style as always

@rachelvogttrends

22. Emily Lunstroth
    Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 01:15 AM

Love the angle of that top photo!! Also your jeans are such a great wash!

23. Eric K
    Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 03:45 AM

Well, first I would like to thank you for geography lesson. I learned something today. Now, talking about these brands: from head to toe you are perfection and your review of the clothing and details on you was fantastic . Thank you so much

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 04:37 AM

I always sucked at geography so this was much needed!! I love that the cardigan’s company is called “Minimum”. Certainly fitting for such a minimal, simple design. Comfort is simple anyway, right? Also loving how you put this Scandinavian ensemble together! The watch certainly ties it all together.

With love, Jenn

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 05:11 AM

I ‘m so inspired with Scandinavian bloggers! Their style in on top!
    Your sleeved shirt is super awesome darling, love how you style your outfits!

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 06:04 AM

I have heard and seen the amazing wave of minimalism in fashion and lifestyle! Maybe its because we’re all getting older and stop value materials as much as when we were younger. Loving how you’ve incorporated it xx

27. Luke Ross
    Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 08:14 AM

Such a nice round up on Scandinavian style Thomas, nobody does minimalism better in my opinion that the Scandis, they just understand that craftsmanship is far more important than bells and whistles! Ps, love the new haircut!

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 04:02 PM

haha I often wondered how Scandinavian people feel about this whole “Scandi” thing! I mean, it seems so broad and I know in Australia being labelled with “Australianisms” can drive me nuts. There are so many AWFUL Australian things. But there are some nice ones too, when you take some of those jokes aside. Anyway, for all of it’s over simplifications, I do love the general ‘Scandi’ aesthetic. Plus you look amazing! 🙂

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 04:04 PM

I’m so terrible at geography, so any free lesson in that area is much appreciated 🙂 haha. But anyways, I love how you always introduce brands from your country, and even the ones surrounding it. The cardigan is the perfect length and design, and it looks so good paired with the jeans! Perfect Scandinavian minimalism if you ask me!

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 08:05 PM

As you may have noticed I’m not a fan of over-accessorising. On the other hand I appreciate clean minimal looks like the one you are sporting today. I love the watch and the bracelets perfectly matching your cool outfit. Baci, Valeria – Coco et La vie en rose FASHION & BEAUTY

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 09:10 PM

I absolutely love the fact that you like to play and try new brands from different countries!! I like the clean and minimalism style in others but not sure how this style will look on me.
    Absolutely love the cardigan!

Wednesday May 10th, 2017 at 10:51 PM

What a cool look Thomas! I had no idea what Scandinavian style was to be honest.
    Love the fact that is minimalist and super comfy. You really look amazing without trying too hard.
    Effortless chic is how I’d describe your style!

33. Jennifer SavvyGreyStyles
    Thursday May 11th, 2017 at 05:58 AM

I love this cardigan and how you styled it. It looks so fashion forward for a casual look! I always look forward to your post to seeing what you are wearing.

Thursday May 11th, 2017 at 09:02 AM

This is completely interesting because I had no idea if the proper meaning of Scandinavian style. This look suits you so well in its class and I love the attention to detail here both in fit and coordination. The watch is one of the most outstanding I’ve seen and paired with the bracelets is ever more fun and adds so much flair to an already amazing ensemble!

Thursday May 11th, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Ah, you do Scandi Minimalism like no other! The jeans are so amazing and love the cardie too.. The watch just completes the look and adds that edgy touch. LOVE

36. Helen Chik
    Thursday May 11th, 2017 at 01:38 PM

Scandinavians NAIL the minimalist trend and when I first discovered the blogging scene which was YEARSSSS ago – two of my favourite bloggers were Scandinavian!

Loving the off duty but cool guy look Thomas!

Helen xx

Thursday May 11th, 2017 at 04:55 PM

I am loving this outfit Thomas! I agree, Scandinavian brands are so good! You always know the right brands to wear and look good 🙂

xo, Samira

Saturday May 13th, 2017 at 03:57 PM

I’m always looking forward to see what Scandinavian brands you’ll share with us next! Minimum looks like they have the timeless pieces I’ve been coveting for my closet. Thanks for sharing! Love your effortlessly cool look.

Saturday May 13th, 2017 at 07:57 PM

You rock the men’s blogging scene and the Scandinavian scene! It’s great to see how Scandinavians have been killing the minimalist scene since day 1!

Sunday May 14th, 2017 at 05:32 PM

I absolutely love Scandinavian fashion. I think you are exactly right in what represents Scandinavian fashion and I think it looks great on you!

meg

Monday May 15th, 2017 at 07:35 AM

I love how I get a history lesson too here! I love history and fashion so this is a win win! I had no idea what Scandi fashion was, but now I do. You look great and your minimal Scandi fashion suits you so well. I need to borrow that cardigan from you. 🙂

Monday May 15th, 2017 at 05:33 PM

You always amaze me with the knowledge you have about pretty much everything in this world, truly. I honestly had no idea that Iceland was part of Nordic countries so thank you for the lesson :). I always adore Scandinavian fashion – clean and minimum looks are effortless and timeless and definitely enjoy this Scandi look you put together for us here. I will check out those great brands you listed and maybe I can pick out some pieces so I can be a copycat and create a Scandi look one day.

Monday May 15th, 2017 at 08:11 PM

I’m a sucker for a guy in a cardigan…when he knows how to style it well. Sometimes men look slobbish or are too skinny for the look (or tummies tend to stick out) when not styled right. But you totally nailed this look with a chunky knit. Plus you’re pretty fit so that helps carry it well.

44. CJ
    Saturday May 20th, 2017 at 06:05 AM

I love this casual but sleek look. Everything is on point. I would recommend my friends to take a look at this post because they can learn about men fashion ❤️

Monday May 22nd, 2017 at 04:53 AM

Dear Tommy, I love this outfit buddy! First off, I had no clue what Scandinavian style so thank you for filling me in, cause now a brother knows what’s up! I love the cardigan and those bracelets so much, especially the cross one. This look is so simple but so chic and slick! Great job Tommy. And thanks for the geography lesson, lol.
    Love, Dom