Global Day of Discovery with Renaissance Malmö Hotel

Global Day of Discovery with Renaissance Malmö Hotel

Travel

It’s weird how it seems ages ago I lived and worked (and studied) in the south of Sweden, but the fact is that it’s only 2 months ago to be exact. Still, when I got an invitation to a party at Renaissance Malmö Hotel, it was a very special experience for me as I got to be a, if not tourist, a visitor to the city I worked in for the past 5 years. I’ve always been somewhat ambivalent to Malmö as a city, but being there as both a guest to an event and a visitor made me think differently. It really opened my eyes to what a lovely place Malmö is and I will post more about that city later as the city is overshadowed by both Stockholm and Copenhagen, despite the fact that it has so much to offer. This post however is going to be about my stay at Renaissance Hotel Malmö and their Global Day of Discovery I was invited to on May 17th.

To begin with Renaissance Hotels is part of the Marriott group and is on the high end scale of their selection. That guarantees two things. Everything is thought through from the smallest detail the moment you enter the hotel, but also, the beds are large enough for Americans not to complain. I got a beautiful spacious room with a mix of contemporary chic and rustique, such as the details in the ceilings and pillars on the walls. There was also a cute welcome bag to prepare me for the events that evening and as a blogger I do get a lot of free stuff, even expensive such, which I don’t even always appreciate, but my favorites freebies like ever so far is the flight pillow as well as a sleeping mask with cat eyes on it which were in the lovely welcome greeting. I know, I’m weird like that, but I guess it goes to show that I enjoy the small things in life and the thought that the staff had put into welcoming me with personalized gifts.

While shooting you get hungry and Renaissance Hotel Malmö didn’t let me down there. As I was shooting in the room all day (only stayed for 17 hours) they were kind enough to toss in a meal for both me and my photographer Joanna and as a bonus sent up a cute butler to go with it. Thanks for all your help with the food if you read this, Mattias, haha.

As for the food itself this is not what I’m used to when it comes to room service. Not only was it good, healthy and really classy, it was a real high end restaurant meal and we got two different meals to see which would go best with the shoot. I’m not your regular hotel review guy and don’t want everything to look like a travel magazine article so I like sharing some behind the scenes as well and hence you get both plates served as eye candy.

As always, when on the run I still need to work. The room offered a perfect space for that and as you know I’m not a coffee drinker, I always bring along some herbal tea. Now this flavor from TEArs with licorice and peppermint might not be for everyone, but it’s a fave for me. Don’t worry as they’ve got plenty of other flavors too, but I do love the packaging however. And speaking of that, the packaging is made out of recycled materials, the tea bags are biodegradable and they’ve got ecological thinking in mind all through the manufacturing process which is reflected in the taste of it.

Another favorite of mine to bring along on trips is a scented candle. This one from Durance with a scent of Mango and passion fruit was really soothing, and fills the entire room with a lovely scent. The master perfumers at Durance employ all their expertise and creativity to design the delicate, elegant, and well-balanced scents. A rare palette of more than thirty fragrances that conjure up a world of scented memories and voyages. Their master chandlers worked for many years to create a unique mix of wax. Of very high quality, this ensures an even and complete burn, as well as optimal diffusion of the scent. The wicks of each of their candles are also selected specifically to achieve perfect diffusion. The perfect marriage of wax, scent, and wick. What also appeals to me is the minimum content of 95% natural ingredients in all of their products.

The reason why my bags are so freaking heavy is because I never give up on my skincare routine, even when I’m only away for 15 hours. Here are some of the essentials that I use right now. Let’s start off with the gorgeous La Nuit de l’Homme fragrance from Yves Saint Laurent. A veil of mystery and an explosive spicy accord reveal cardamom with sparkling freshness of bergamot, lavender and cedar, which stand for strength of men. Cumin and vetiver in a base ensure a sensual finish and an opulent, elegant closure. Sounds like me right?
Then we have the Verso Day Cream which in addition to Retinol 8, contains Vitamin B3 for enhanced skin luminosity. Sun filters and Turmeric extract help to protect the skin from premature aging. Turmeric also contains a potent anti-oxidant that reduces the appearance of wrinkles and promotes a fresh, translucent skin.
As I tend to have very dry elbows and heels I’ve found the Exuviance Heel & Elbow cream to be the perfect solution to that. Something you need to be extra vary of these days when you’re applying self tanning products.

What better way to set you in the mood than a gold mask? Feeling like an Egyptian god both while wearing the mask and after it is what I look for in a beauty product. Dr Kadir has an a Gold Matrix Mask which is rich in nourishing emollients such as shea butter, wheat germ oil and avocado oil. It contains also pomegranate juice and vitamin E. The mask has nourishing, moisturizing and lightening effect.

The event then? Why was I so anxious to go there? Well, Renaissance Hotel Malmö was kind of like my safe haven when I lived down there and their 6th annual Global Day of Discovery event was celebrated on May 17 in 35 countries around the world. The unforgettable evenings featured everything from show-stopping live performances, an exclusive party at the top of the Eiffel Tower, awe-inspiring acrobatic acts, and a secret speakeasy. Each hotel is asked to highlight what’s unique in their city and as Malmö is somewhat of a melting pot of nationalities (there are 179 nationalities represented in this city, unique of its kind in Sweden) the hotel had decided to make it a cocktail event taking you around the world. So you were met by these lovely flight attendants to check your passport and allowing you to enter the event.

After check in, you entered a culinary voyage through the continents with both drinks (mocktails in my case) and food to represent that continent. My favorite was North America, but then again, that’s not a surprise in any way as my love for that place is only contested by my love for my home town Stockholm and my second home town Paris. Jeez, this being a world citizen thingie is more confusing than I even thought about before.

Eddie Fischer and I go well together and this unofficial photo wall picture of us two reminds me how much I miss that girl, but we’re going to Copenhagen Fashion week together later in August and I’m already looking forward to that.

All in all it was a lovely event and I want to thank all of the staff at Renaissance Malmö Hotel for their genuine kindness, hospitality and immaculate service. If it weren’t for you guys I don’t know how I would have survived my last year in that city which I have an ambivalent relationship to as you guys are the beacon of light for me. I’m glad I got the opportunity to brighten up my views and opinions about Malmö a bit and discover it’s actually quite a lovely place to visit. Until next time!

Photographer (all the way down to the golden mask picture): Joanna Bladh, Photostory

Saturday June 3rd, 2017 at 11:33 PM

Seems like you had an amazing time at the hotel! I am also a huge fan of herbal tea 🙂 I definitely want to check out the hotel because they obviously treated you well and had tons of great food options especially healthy ones!

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 12:40 AM

Dear Tommy,
    You had me at mask with cat eyes on it. Seriously the room is so much more homey and welcoming than any hotel I’ve ever been to. I always prefer the Marriott options and this one does not disappoint! I love that you showed both amazing meals! I kind of think I would have done that too 😉 as I am not one to really stage anything- what you see is what you get. I love how you always bring a scented candle to your vacations and especially love that you share that! I totally want to try that gold mask and I wish I could be like you and be loyal to a skin care program!! Is it too late for a New Years Resolution? That would be mine. To be like Tommy and take care of my skin! Seriously, I’m completely impressed by this amazing opportunity you had and I’m glad you shared it all !!

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 02:10 AM

I love Renaissance hotels and this one looks as chic as the rest of them! Maybe when I come back to Swededn I’ll visit Malmo too!

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 04:51 AM

That licorice and peppermint tea sounds amazing to me, two of my favorite flavors! I know firsthand how nice Renaissance hotels are because we have one here that is incredible and has top notch service. I can see why you were so impressed by room service. Your meal looks delectable! I don’t know how you took the time to take a pic first; I would’ve taken a bite first!

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 06:21 AM

Renaissance Malmö Hotel looks so amazing! The bedroom and the bathrooms are so spacious!! I love hotel rooms that are spacious with contemporary designs! Btw, I can’t believe you BYO your own scent when you travel! It was a lovely candle from Durance, but often my suitcases are filled with so many outfits and skin care products left no room for other things =P

6. Lady Goldapple
    Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Lovely that you’ve worked and studied in the south of Sweden. I’ve never been to Sweden, but would love to go there sometime. This annual Global Day of Discovery event seems so cool to me. How fortunate you were invited for such a beautiful event. XO Charissa

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 02:13 PM

I’m such a tea fanatic so the licorice and peppermint tea is right up my alley!! I wish the Renaissance hotels made apartments because I would definitely stay in one! I love their comfortable atmospheres and welcoming nature. That’s so cool that you take a scented candle with you when you travel. I think I’m going to adopt that habit.

8. Cristofer
    Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 02:14 PM

And we sure did have a blast with you at Renaissance!

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 03:09 PM

I just love how you are on top of your skincare game! I’m the exact same when I travel, even if it’s just for one night – it takes up like half of my suitcase haha! And how special that you got to celebrate the Global Day of Discovery with the Malmo hotel! It’s so pretty, and it seems like a perfect place for a blogger to stay. Lucky you for having your food served by the hottie of a butler 🙂

10. Open Kloset
    Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 03:16 PM

Dear Thomas,
    How are you? How’s Weekend?
    The Hotel Looks Nice and I loved that the Service works very well, special Care is always important and you feel something special:)
    I am a Tealover, I don’t drink coffee so The Peppermint combo tea Would be just perfect for me:)
    You are Like me, I always bring with me mostly all if my Skincare Products 🙂 ahhha:) I had some nice stories at the airport because of this, but I had always luck:)
    Gold Mask Sounds Good, I use now some from Orogold and Works like Magic:)
    The Event photos looks sooo nice, so happy that you had Great Time:)
    Kisses Hugs
    Open Kloset By Karina

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 05:54 PM

What a fabulous and chic hotel! I am so impressed with the room size and decor and that fabulous bathroom. I love the “flight” theme of the hotel from the staff outfits to the welcome basket. I can tell that the food is incredible and was drooling over that salad/ sandwich concoction. I am in awe of your skincare goodies especially that gold mask and need to get that for myself stat! What a wonderful stay you had there even if it was only for 17 hours. xoxo, Christine

12. Morgan Ryan
    Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 10:23 PM

I’ve only been to Sweden in the dead of winter. Would love to go back and experience it in the Spring. Love the bright and bold colors of the hotel room and the rug especially 😉

M

Sunday June 4th, 2017 at 11:37 PM

The hotel looks amazing. Great experience. Have fun at the Copenhagen Fashion Week.

Monday June 5th, 2017 at 12:57 AM

I know exactly what you mean when the feelings you have about a city you’ve lived in changes depending on whether you’re living there or you’re just staying over as a visitor. I used to feel this way all the time with my home city of New York. When I lived in London and would stay in New York for a few days I suddenly saw my city as everyone from abroad who would say, “Why on earth did you ever leave New York?! It’s such a great city!” When I lived in New York I didn’t appreciate it as much as when I lived abroad and only had a few days to stay there! Anyway, one city I would like to visit now is Malmö. I didn’t realize how much of a melting pot it is. Also the hotel you stayed in looks really cute and the staff seem really friendly and accommodating. Always a must for hotels in my humble opinion 🙂

Monday June 5th, 2017 at 01:52 PM

Thomas you are always staying at the prettiest hotels! I am so jealous! The room looks so spacious… almost as if there’s enough room for me to tag along too 😉 take me next time! I really want to visit you in Sweden soon… maybe I could use a little cool down from the crazy heat here in PS. I’m glad to hear you had a wonderful experience at this hotel — sounds like a nice little getaway! 🙂 Happy Monday love and hope to chat soon! xo, sharon

Monday June 5th, 2017 at 03:01 PM

It sounds like you had the best time at this hotel and this event. The hotel sounds amazing and I’m sure I’d love it because I always stay in Marriott hotels when I go away on vacations! They have the best staff, no matter which city or state I’m in! I love that! I love all the goodies that were provided for you too – that’s so fun! I want a cat eye mask hehe. I wish I could go to that event (and literally every event you go to) because the theme sounds like a blast! I love the idea of the flight attendants and all the different foods and drinks of the world! What a creative idea! I can’t wait to see more from your adventures 🙂

Monday June 5th, 2017 at 09:01 PM

What a lovely post Tom. This hotel looks amazing and sounds like you had a blast and took the best out of the 17 hours you were there. The photos are beautiful as well, and that food you guys ordered for room service seriously doesn’t look like room service at ALL!
    Malmo sounds like such a great city, and it’s probably more affordable that any other of the big cities, so I’d definitely look into it!
    Thank you so much for sharing and can’t wait for more posts about this city!
    PS: Checking out that elbow cream! I have the same problem and trust your recommendations!

18. Zivanka
    Monday June 5th, 2017 at 09:27 PM

I would LOVE to visit Sweden. Looks like such a gorgeous place! And Malmo hotel looks so stylish and spacious! So lucky to have enjoyed your stay there! Definitely putting this on my bucket list of must-have places to visit. Omg and that candle sounds divine. It has all of my favourite scents rolled into one. Definitely checking out their online shop 🙂

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 12:45 AM

I never have food photos because I can’t wait to eattttt! Such amazing shots and such a great and thorough review of the hotel. I love your honesty and twist of humor you bring Thomas. I can’t believe you bring all your skin care with you. OMG!! But great skin is very important and as you have to be on camera all the time, I totally understand. Glad you had fun!!!

20. Kate Tik
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 01:32 AM

This place sounds incredible! I feel like you give a genuine behind the scenes look into how you experience places and things. Thanks you so much for sharing and I hope to visit someday!

katetik.com

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 05:00 AM

Okay this is a compete D R E A M! You make me want to travel if only I could but in the mind time I will enjoy your posts!

That gold mask is sooo interesting and a must try!

Iliana | http://www.sophitisticatedfashionista.com

22. Tina
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 10:08 AM

The hotel looks amazing and I bet you had a lovely time staying there!! All the pics look incredible 🙂

23. Luke Ross
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 03:39 PM

Between that huge comfy looking bed and those incredible plates of food, this totally looks like the dream destination. Ps, I always travel with one of my own candles, it’s nice to have a little home comfort!

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 08:15 PM

I love all hotels part of the Marriot group. They are always so classic and elegant and judging by the pictures this one definitely is. I also love scented candles they can easily change an entire enviroment 🙂

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 04:27 AM

Oh wow they really treated you well! I love the gift box idea! So personal and sweet. I am off to check into our newest hotel for it’s launch and to stay tonight, you may have just upped my expectations! It does look like a great spot though, so I am excited. I am always packing skincare and masks for my little vacations too, you can not let the routine slip! Love the gold mask! How fun!

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 05:17 AM

I love the Renaissance chain, it is such a classic line for the Marriott. Your room is so spacious and I love the modern bathroom, I’m a sucker for contemporary details. It looks like you and your photographer got some extra treatment with all the delicious room service. I’m totally like you when it comes to traveling with all the familiar skincare and beauty products. I have a mini travel set of my whole skincare ritual when I am on the go and I can see you have it all too! Glad you had a great time!

xo Sheree

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 06:20 AM

Dear Thomas, I’m happy you could live a cathartic experience thanks to Renaissance hotel. What an evocative name by the way! There’s nothing more restoring than being pampered in such a welcoming place. The interior design is chic in a relaxing way, and the staff does look very professional and friendly, which is what I look for in a hotel. And I see you took with you so many amazing beauty products! I could really use the Exuviance cream to prep for self-tan. You got me here lol! Big hugs, Valeria

28. michenn
    Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 03:18 PM

I love your in depth hotel review and your photos are amazing. That gift bag looks awesome (are those shampoos?!) and I know what you mean about receiving free stuff but it being the little things that matter. I also got a super cute eye mask from a brand and actually loved that more than the products haha. Great hotel review post!

michenn

29. Taylor Mobley
    Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 05:22 PM

Ok you lucky guy! This looks like the best getaway ever!!!! The bed looks insanely comfortable. What a cute eye mask! Also — your photos are totally gorgeous!!! This is the best hotel review I’ve read — I need to get out more!!! That whole chain of Marriotts is so classy.

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 06:15 PM

Such an amazing experience! I really love your hotel room, it looks so warm and cozy, for me it is the most important thing in the hotel rooms – to feel like home away from home! All the meals looks amazing and tasty, and I’m ever going to be in Malmo, definitely stay in this hotel

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 08:03 PM

It looks like such a nice hotel! One I would definitely like to stay at. It’s nice to look at your city from a different point of view. Being born and raised in Chicago, I see the city so much differently than visitors do and it feels nice when I have those moments where I really get to look at it in wonder.

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 09:01 AM

Such a lovely post! It’s always in the details and the fact that you get a scented candle is so sweet. I’d be sold at that AND the food…. How amazing do the dishes look? Also, well done to the photographer 🙂 Now I need that golden mask please

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 04:38 PM

They gave you so many cool freebies, and those free meals were definitely a cool bonus!

Friday June 9th, 2017 at 05:48 AM

The food at the Renaissance is making me so hungry. I personal love the Renaissance Hotels and can’t wait to check it out when I’m in your area.

Friday June 9th, 2017 at 09:40 PM

This is quite the hotel room! I love the lighting and colorful stripes in the chairs and rug. Also, that meal looks absolutely incredible! It looks like you had a great stay!

Stephanie | http://www.dotsandhoney.com

Wednesday June 14th, 2017 at 09:09 PM

I love personalized gifts it was really nice! Very cosy and nice hotel room. Makes me want to go there! And the food photos… omg what you do with me??

Sunday June 18th, 2017 at 11:11 PM

I’ve heard great things about Malmo actually, I would love to go one day.

Monday June 19th, 2017 at 01:40 AM

Dear Tommy. You make me wish I was in a hotel right now living your life, haha. This hotel is so pretty. The shots here just make it shine more. The food looks amazing (i’m so damn hungry right now, aha). I am in dire need of face masks and I’m legit writing down all these masks I’m seeing on everyone’s blogs. I feel like I hit a second round of puberty when I turned 22 last month and my skin keeps breaking out, I’m not here for it, so I appreciate you sharing some Egyptian god advice lol. I rarely drink coffee, only when I crave, but I myself am a tea person and I must try that tea you are drinking. I’m also obsessed with candles so I’m just gonna write that down and give a list to my other half to order these things for me, haha. I’m glad to see you out and living a good life my friend. The event looked awesome.
    Can’t wait to read your next posts on my blogging marathon.
    Love, Dom

39. Alyssa Moore
    Wednesday June 21st, 2017 at 06:09 PM

I love the Renaissance Hotels. Although I never stayed at one haha. But in Providence RI I walked around once in the hotel and it was beautiful. When I saw the gifts in the first couple of photos I was like “WHAT NO WAY” such awesome gifts. SERIOUSLY THE FOOD, I just had my lunch at work and oh am I hungry again. I admire that you still carry around your skin care routine it is so important! Please do not get me started on candles hehe, I loveeeee them! I have 1-3 in every room of place. It’s so awesome catching up with old friends. The event looked fun. I am glad you enjoyed your 17 hr getaway.