American Vintage – the French way

American Vintage – the French way

Competitions, Fashion

I’m all about basics, but basic doesn’t mean boring. Enter American Vintage. It all began with t-shirts. The most basic piece out there, yet so complicated and from there the challenge and vision of taking the t-shirt to the front lines of fashion began. At a quick glance it looks like all basics, but American Vintage is so much more than just that. The brand sees every creation as a layer of human skin, an extension of your own body so to speak. That’s how personal, intimate and heartfelt American Vintage is. The colors are earthy with hues of green, maroon, gray and blue. These are collections for you who have an eye for fashion even when it comes to everyday wear.

There’s always a surprising seam or other detail, a perfect fit or a hue of a color you’ve never even thought about. That’s what American Vintage is all about. Why a French designer has decided to call his brand American Vintage is something I don’t know the answer to, but Mickaël Azoulay who founded the company back in 2005 travels around the world seeking inspiration from street fashion and all collections and pieces are named after American cities and places so I guess he likes the US just as much as I do. One thing is sure though. I’m eternally grateful for the fact that I got to spend time in America when I was growing up. Going to school in America. Being an American. It sure helped to kill my almost mythological expectations about the country (it didn’t look anything like Beverly Hills 90210), but it also strengthened my belief in that the world’s most powerful nation is just that, no matter what the political situation over there is right now.

I chose to keep this sweater with pockets really simple by pairing it with black jeans and, well, you know me, white kicks. This is as basic as it gets, but bare along me as there’s more to come. When it comes to fashion you should always add your own touch to it and that doesn’t just apply to fashion. Whatever you do in life, make sure it reflects who you are and what you stand for. There’s nothing more boring than being basic, so spice it up whether it’s your closet, your cooking, or where to travel to next (don’t choose that safe place you’ve been to 25 times just because it’s convenient). Go out there and discover the world.

Another reason I wanted to keep this as basic as possible is the reason that the shoot took place outside a school next to where I live. I’m somewhat too old to fit in with the students, but putting on a glamazon look for this place would have been overdoing it and being here rewoke memories from when I actually was a young student. Not sure I’d want to be that again though. Too much drama over small things, although I do sometimes miss the times when your only worry in life was if you’d ace that math test in 9th grade (I never did) or if you had the coolest toy around (I always did).

This is the part where my photographer Timothy almost fainted as we climbed up on my rooftop to take a few shots, but we were short of light and I didn’t want to torture him all too much by being up there, but I still want to show you some more American Vintage pieces such as the duvet jacket and the lovely print on the tee. As some of you know I’m deathly scared of heights, but for some reason I’m not scared up on my rooftop. Go figure. You’ll be seeing a lot more of rooftop pictures in future posts as this is the perfect place to shoot really. A sunset with the city as the setting, I mean, nothing beats that. And oh, stay tuned for more American Vintage to come as I’m not done showcasing them quite yet.

Sweater: American Vintage
Duvet jacket: American Vintage
Tee: American Vintage
Jeans: Cheap Monday
Sneakers: Jim Rickey

Photographer: Timothy Gottlieb

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 12:38 AM

I didn’t know you lived in the states! Cool! I am loving that sweater though. It looks like it should be a hoodie with the pockets and all, but it’s really unexpected that it’s just a sweater. I love pieces like that! And that jacket is looks super comfy too. I hope Tim is ok!! It’s usually the bloggers who do crazy things for the gram, but I guess he had to get up there with you to actually shoot. It’s a great view though!! I can’t wait to see more.

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 12:48 AM

I love the way you styled the clothing because it’s very street styled inspired and causal yet comfortable. Shooting at rooftops is also a great way to get some amazing shots so I’m glad you were able to do this even though you are afraid of heights.

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Love all these pieces Thomas! The oversized sweatshirt and the checkered tee are my fave so far! And I had no idea you went to school in the US!

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 01:26 AM

OMG Tom! You guys over did yourselves with those photos!
    I didn’t know you were afraid of heights, and poor of your photographer lol. Good thing you are not afraid of your rooftop because the photos are to die for!
    Also, loving this brand! There’s nothing basic about anything you wear my friend!

5. Kate Tik
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 01:41 AM

I totally love you style, as you may already know. haha. You always elevate what might seem basic with your own personal touch. I cannot believe your photographer fainted. Omg sounds intense. Thanks for sharing!

katetik.com

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 03:49 AM

I hardly aced my math tests too! Lol. I love both of these American Vintage pieces but my favorite is the sweater with the pockets. That can be worn so many ways on so many occasions. I really want it!! You styled it perfectly. Minimalistic style is right up my alley! But you’re right, your life should be anything but!

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 03:58 AM

As I said before, you have the BEST street style, best style really! American Vintage couldn’t pick a better person than you to model their nicely designed basic pieces, especially after you added your thoughtful personal touch! I love both looks but that printed tee truly caught my eyes! Thank you again for introducing another great brand to us! By the way, those rooftop shots are stunning but I am also very scared of heights so I admire you for climbing up there for those pictures!

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 04:41 AM

You are the king of minimal, casual men’s style! I look so forward to your looks every time you post! Pairing that sweater with pockets with black jeans and white kicks was genius. You rock the heck out of American Vintage and this look is far from boring!

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 05:04 AM

Obsessed over every single one of these pieces. Specially the way you styled them, you nailed it 🙂

You totally set the tone with these photos!

Iliana | http://www.sophitisticatedfashionista.com

10. Ivory
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 07:18 AM

I really love how you pull off your outfit, Thomas! Totally looks good on you. Also, the vibe of your photos is just perfect! 🙂

xx shaine

11. Tina
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 10:10 AM

I love both looks!! The green jacket really suits you and the long hoody is super trendy. Love the way you combine the different outfits! 🙂

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Dear Tommy,
    You have truly outdone yourself here. I really loved seeing your post on Instagram yesterday ( and today when I checked your page again) and it’s so fascinating the way the designer thinks of the clothing as an extension of self, another layer ! I adore that and think that you are perfect to showcase this line -American Vintage because you have so many different layers of style and awesomeness! It’s true, this line is so much more than basics. I love how you kept this all streamlined and elegant due to being at your school and I wish sometimes I only worried about acing the test ( always did ) and having the coolest toy ( never did ) ! Love the rooftop poses as well and it’s incredibly intriguing how you manage it with the fear of heights !
    Your Jenny

13. Luke Ross
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 04:03 PM

Great shots here Thomas, you really bring a new dimension to these American Vintage pieces. Although they are basics pieces, they all do seem to have interesting little design twists which really does help to set them apart.

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 08:37 PM

I’m all abut basic pieces Thomas!!! People sometimes really underestimates the outfits you can accomplish with basic pieces. Both outfits looks amazing on you. American Vintage really have great pieces.

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 08:39 PM

What a great venue for shooting your blog. Love the rooftop idea. The sweatshirt is great – the length and pockets – great American Vintage.

Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 10:45 PM

I love basics but more than that, I love it when there is a little detail like a colored thread or a zipper that makes the basic totally something new. It seems like American Vintage is totally up my alley. I love the sweatshirt and the street vibe of this look. Pockets are also always a plus in my book. What a beautiful school and location for these shots. I love rooftop photos and so glad you made it up there! xoxo, Christine

17. Open Kloset
    Tuesday June 6th, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Hey Thomas,
    Hows you?
    Love both Style and the American Vintage such a Nice Brand:) You always show the Most Unique Brands:)
    My Favorite is the Rooftop look and Photos:)
    Loved the Duvet Jacket with the Tee:) Looks sooo Good together:)
    Wish you Happy Tuesday
    Kisses Hugs
    Karina

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 04:34 AM

First of all, that roof top view is amazing!! More of these please! Though, no fainting!! Haha. I love American Vintage too. The fabric quality is always so exceptional. I think basic and simple are also replaceable with understated and essential here. It works in a perfectly French way that I love.

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 07:13 AM

Loving the comfy chic pieces from American Vintage! Sometimes the back to the basics is the best and will never go out of style. The sweatshirt with pocket looked so comfy and the duvet jacket also looked warm and cozy. I bet that sunset shots on the roof would look really good and I’m looking forward to seeing more.

xo Sheree

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 01:55 PM

“An extension of your own body” – I love that. It’s almost a poetic approach to clothing that’s not seen very often, and while they may be “just basics” they look more than just comfortable, they look classy and even unique. I really love these pieces and now I’m going to check out the brand more!

21. michenn
    Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 02:03 PM

The roof risk turned out well! You got some awesome shots. Also, I am loving the all black look (with white kicks) and I agree with you on being basic but giving it your own special little kick. I always love reading your posts, they’re so insightful and informative!

michenn

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 02:21 PM

i love this oversized sweater! this casual look is everything — only i wish i could pull off something like this here in palm springs without dying in the heat lol. you always manage to pull off the most casual pieces with effortless style thomas! <3 xo, sharon

23. Taylor Mobley
    Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 05:28 PM

You look wonderful! And so comfortable. I love that they are named after American cities (I’m partial as an American myself) 😉 It’s much to hot to wear anything like this now but it would be perfect when the weather cools later in the year. You always manage to make me wish I could dress as effortlessly as you do!!!

24. Zivanka
    Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 05:51 PM

I am loving the rooftop shots soo much! They were definitely worth the climb beside the fear of heights! 🙂 All of your shots are amazing btw and I have been a fan of your easy breezy style! I think that’s what makes you stand out , you use all of your classic pieces like a T and pair it with other staples to keep comfy yet fashionable. Love that!

Sweet as Fiction xx

Wednesday June 7th, 2017 at 08:23 PM

American Vintage seems so cool! I love how casual and classic it is. That is totally my style. But you can instantly see the quality.

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 04:56 AM

I’ve noticed that you have added a lot of French touches in your outfits lately..just wondering where are you getting your inspirations from =P I love that American Vintage Tee! It’s so classy and elegant! simple yet looks very posh!!! Totally your style Thomas!

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 09:04 AM

I juts love great quality basics! Not only are they super comfy, feel luxurious but they’re also really kind on our skin too… Amazing styling my friend as always, the long sweatshirt is amazing and totally unisex as well which I love xx

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 11:56 AM

It is 100% my style! Faded, washed earth colors and oversized silhouettes, I’ve hear a lot about American vintage, but only after your post I decided to visit their web-site and the clothes are amazing! I also love how you wear this sweater, kinda casually, but stylish at the same time. It is real street style!

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 02:20 PM

That’s very interesting a French designer named the brand American Vintage. Anyways, I adore the sweater you chose and I always appreciate the fact that you make sure your outfit matches the backdrop. I’m also glad I got to grow up in the states, and I’ve felt that ever since I moved to Japan. The cultures are just so different and you kind of appreciate the differences and what you used to have.

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 04:51 PM

Amazing rooftop shots! A bit too comfy for me to wear outdoors but they look super comfy xx

Thursday June 8th, 2017 at 08:26 PM

How come you aren’t afraid of climbing your rooftop? And I’m thinking of your poor photographer lol. Back to American Vintage, I love the brand concept of every item being a second layer of our skin. And the care for the details which turn basic pieces into luxury pieces. I don’t miss at all my time at school, because I studied like all the time to keep my mind off what happened in my home. You camouflaged really well by the way! Baci, Valeria – Coco et La vie en rose FASHION & BEAUTY

Friday June 9th, 2017 at 06:00 AM

I personal love my basic, you’re so right Thomas, they are not boring at all. You look amazing!.

33. Lady Goldapple
    Friday June 9th, 2017 at 09:20 AM

If Googled it for you, this is what I ‘ve found: What is vintage: of high quality and lasting value, or showing the best and most typical characteristics of a particular type of thing, especially from the past. So maybe that is what he had in mind when deciding for the name American Vintage. I love the pictures of you on the roof, bit dangerous but hé everything for a stunning picture, right 😉 ? XO Charissa, http://www.ladygoldapple.com

Friday June 9th, 2017 at 09:44 PM

I enjoyed reading about American Vintage. This hoodie look a like such a comfortable piece, perfect for a day of exploring or hanging out watching Netflix!

Stephanie | http://www.dotsandhoney.com

Sunday June 11th, 2017 at 07:05 PM

I love that you started this post out with the fact that basics are not boring. Hear, hear! I love basics. Their timeless, versatile, and you can really make them into your own, as you’ve so aptly demonstrated here. It’s so funny, American labels are often using French names to “add some class” to their brand and here’s an example of a French label going American. Gotta love globalization! I love all of American Vintage’s super cool pieces on you but my ultimate fave has to be that awesome tee.

Monday June 12th, 2017 at 02:10 AM

Love how you said you chose the shoot location outside by a school- I could definitely see this being a casual school or study look! American Vintage looks like they make some great, comfy pieces. That tee is so great.

Xx,

Lauren // http://www.mylifeaslaurr.com

Wednesday June 14th, 2017 at 09:28 PM

I agree basic doesn’t mean boring. Especially i like white tshirts, it is perfect basic for me!
    Thomas, was it dangerous on the rooftop? Amazing photos and look but… Be careful, we still need your posts 🙂

Sunday June 18th, 2017 at 10:47 PM

American Vintage is so cozy and perfect, great looks can’t go wrong with good basics.

39. Alyssa Moore
    Wednesday June 21st, 2017 at 09:30 PM

From the post I have read you do love your basics, but you always know how to style them. Like look at the sweater your wearing so simple yet you rock it in such a different way!

Monday June 26th, 2017 at 01:46 AM

You always outdo yourself with your imagery and content! This is a great post and I already love American Vintage. They have great basics and pieces for the day to day capsule wardrobe!! I love how you put everything together, it’s really amazing!