Hotel Hermitage in Florence

Hotel Hermitage in Florence

Travel

After London I flew over to Florence to continue my Fashion Week escapades. In Florence the European fashion elite gathers to attend Pitti Uomo, which basically is a huge corporate party for all brands in the business and a place for fashionistas to strut around in too warm suits trying to look cool. This was my first time attending the fair and as you’ll get all my outfits from here in a later post you’ll see that I for once I stepped out of my comfort zone and went for suits and blazers each day, although keeping my own touch to it. Just like in London, I want to start with where I stayed at and I must say I’ve never been so positively surprised as I was when I arrived to Hotel Hermitage in Florence.

Why is that? Well, it’s quite well known that a three star hotel in Italy, Spain, France or wherever in southern Europe doesn’t equal 3 stars in the Nordic countries or the States. Florence is a small town however and as Pitti Uomo was going on this was basically the only option I had left when I booked. So basically I was heading there and thinking it’ll be whatever it’ll be and I’ll have to deal with that. What I hadn’t expected was that I got a room on the top floor with an amazing terrace adjacent to it. My windows opened up to the terrace and views to both the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio were breathtaking. In fact, you cannot live closer to Ponte Vecchio than I did.

As you can see, the room itself is nothing special, but very cute. It had a cosy feeling to it and despite an incident including a cockroach on the floor one morning (which I thought was trash and picked it up, realized it was alive and panicked) I could have stayed here for a week or more, but this time four nights was all I had time for before heading off to Milan Fashion Week.

Along with other beauty products (you know by now I bring a whole bag filled with only those) I thought the appropriate thing would be to bring along some Pasta del Capitano toothpaste accompanied by products from Rituals and soap from Sephora to this trip. Pasta del Capitano is as Italian as it gets. It comes in a wonderful retro packaging as well – that went well with the decor of the room and spirit of the hotel. And yes, I always bring my own carry on icon with Jesus and our Holy Mother as well. This I do as I believe in divine protection, not just beauty care alone

I always want to make the room more homey and this time I did it by bringing this scented tazzle from Rituals which comes with a bottle that makes it not only a pretty thing to decorate with, but it spreads a wonderful scent throughout the entire room as well. You can apply as much or as little of the scent as you want to of course.

Back to the terrace and the city itself, however. I spent countless hours up here on my semi private terrace (it was open to all hotel guests, but I was almost always alone up there as there were quite a few stairs to get there) just soaking in the sun while sipping on some juice, eating fruit and admiring the beauty of the city and the sunsets of Tuscany. For once I decided I’d not only do fashion things, but actually took time off and went to see the statue of David by Michelangelo and wandered the narrow and ancient streets of Florence. This, my friends, is what life is all about. Enjoying the present. Living in the present and cherishing it. I am so happy about finding a gem like Hotel Hermitage in Florence and will definitely be back as it’s not only affordable, but has the best location you could ever think of. And for all those worried, despite the heat, the rooms are air conditioned. Another fact is that they also ironed my clothes for free. Something that 5 star hotels usually charge you at least 5 dollars for… That’s what I call service.

Photographer: Yu Yang

Wednesday July 5th, 2017 at 11:23 PM

I love Florence so much! so happy to have discovered this little gem thru your blog post. Love this breathtaking views. Wow!!! you were so lucky to have that terrace for yourself. The Hotel Hermitage will be definitely on my mind for when I come back to my beloved Florence, again.

xx. Gina

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 01:39 AM

I’ve never been to Florence before but the little rooftop terrace setting is just what I imagined all of Florence looks like. It’s so cute up there! I cringed when you mentioned the cockroach! Yuck! Anyway, your outfit looks very dapper! I love that sophisticated look on you!

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 01:47 AM

I’ve never been to Florence but it sounds amazing. The hotel too looks quintessentially Italian and super chic!

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 03:44 AM

I want to visit Florence very soon just because of this wonderful post of yours! Always love your very candid and detailed reviews about all the hotels you’ve stayed at (By the way I couldn’t stop laughing about that cockroach story as I am so scared of that type of bugs!!). The view is absolutely stunning from your semi-private terrace – just for that breathtaking view, Hotel Hemitage should be a 5 star hotel! Of course you could make any look more classy and sophisticated than it is, this suit look is an no exception!

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 06:06 AM

All the overgrowing plants on the balcony is so picturesque! I would’ve just stayed there with a cup of coffee to bask in the sunshine. And that view! Utterly breathtaking.

6. Kamen Kamenov
    Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Omg I wanted to visit as well this year but was stuck in bologna at the time pitti was going …. damn… by the way may I ask a question? So u did get all the suits from there from the brands right?
    Ps that deep blue looks amazing on u my friend

7. Lady Goldapple
    Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 06:08 PM

Hahah, a cockroach on the floor and you picked it up. I would freak out too. I had one sometime in greece hotel and I freaked out and spend the night on the balcony. It didn’t have those beautiful plants unfortunately.
    XO Charissa

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 06:37 PM

My Dear Tommy !!
    So many things and thoughts are running through my head right now ! First I thought I would be going on about your stunning presence in this ensemble, especially the hat ! And yes , you do look amazing! Love the separate pieces and how you put it all together! But I’m obsessed now with getting to Florence and staying at the Hotel Hermitage ! I really love the hominess of it and I can’t wait until someday they Iron my clothes! Looking forward to hearing more about Fashion Week and definitely need to try the toothpaste!
    Love ,
    Your Jenny

9. Lisa-Jane
    Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 08:01 PM

Whilst the live cockroach doesn’t sound fun, this room looks so cute and the views from the terrace are incredible! This hotel looks like a real hidden gem. Thanks for sharing with us x

Thursday July 6th, 2017 at 09:21 PM

Even in the states, 3 star hotels can be tricky. I have found them to be comparable to 5 star hotels, if not better and I see that’s also the case with Hotel Hermitage as well! Sounds like Pitti Uomo is the place to be to look like a star and also be in their presence. I love the way you elevated that blazer to your own style too 🙂

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 01:29 AM

I saw the first photo of you on your Instagram and thought how dapper you looked! Suits and hats totally suit you 😉 Okay, now on to this very charming hotel! I would totally stay just for that adorable terrace alone! As you said, you definitely wouldn’t find a hotel like that with a 3-star rating in the States. Add in the free ironing and I’m sold! I’m booking my ticket to Florence asap!

12. Ana Vukosavljevic
    Friday July 7th, 2017 at 02:09 AM

What a beautiful hotel to stay in! It looks so romantic and vintage but still on trend. I loved how you represent it in such a unique way 🙂
    You look amazing and I looove your styling!

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 02:25 AM

I would have never guessed that a 3 star hotel could be so lovely! Definitely more of a hit or miss in the states! The Hotel Hermitage looks so beautiful and serene! I love that you had access to a private terrace that you can just enjoy on your own! You look super snazzy in that blazer btw.

With love, Jenn

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 03:57 AM

What a quaint hotel! Views and location are what makes a hotel amazing and it seems like the Hotel Hermitage had all of that and more. Florence is such an incredible city and I am glad you took some time off and saw the sights. I need to get one of those scented tassels as not only is it darling, I love that it fragrances the entire room. That terrace is so picturesque and I could see myself up there too just taking in the beauty of the city and moment. Love the blazer and hat styling as well! xoxo, Christine

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 06:57 AM

I can’t believe you were so close to the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio!!! I remember visiting the Duomo and The David when I was in Italy. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay in Florence. Sometimes looks aren’t everything and you can make the best of every situation. It looked like a wonderful hotel!!

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 09:04 AM

I love and miss Florence so much! Thank you for this post and pictures from my favourite city ever. I used to study there when I was 22. So much memories 🙂
    This hotel looks great and seems it is in the centre of the city. Yes, most of the Italian hotels are quite old school, but I love their atmosphere so much.

Friday July 7th, 2017 at 09:23 AM

My word this terrace is so charming and lovely. I would fancy spending an afternoon here with a book and a cup of tea and just chill, and perhaps look up once in a while to admire the view of Duomo and Ponte Vecchio. Sometimes hotels has lovely surprises when you least expected it. I love your attire as well, the blue blazer with the hat is so chic.

xo Sheree

18. Jerad Michael
    Friday July 7th, 2017 at 08:31 PM

What a lovely hotel and view! I miss Florence.

-Jerad

19. Kallie
    Saturday July 8th, 2017 at 04:36 AM

This hotel looks and sounds very quaint and cozy. I also love a good place to stay that’s in the perfect location, it makes the whole trip so easy. You looked very dapper in that blue suit and hat!

Saturday July 8th, 2017 at 11:54 AM

What a nice surprise! Though perhaps not the cockroach part. Eep! I don’t think I ended up staying overnight last time, I think we took a long day trip in to Florence. It’s a beautiful town, with some great restaurants. I hope you had a good time with fashion week, this terrace would have been a beautiful spot to unwind in and escape all of that madness.

Saturday July 8th, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Wwwwwaaa!!! I’m going to Florence this summer! And I was searching for a perfect hotel to stay in. Will book a room at this beautiful place for sure!

22. Debbie Savage
    Sunday July 9th, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Wow, Thomas! This has got to be my favorite look on you! The navy blue blazer is so sharp! You look so handsome! You have guts to approach the roach! YUCK! You are my hero and seeing Florence is definitely on my bucket list!
    xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com

Sunday July 9th, 2017 at 02:51 AM

My dear Tommy.
    First metallic and now that blazer. YAS! I love that blazer you are wearing so much! What a beautiful hotel, that rooftop is everything. As you know I have never been out of the states, but seeing your journey through your eyes gives me so much hope to witness locations like this and also the added slayage of yours. PS THAT HAT TOO! You are winning at everything buddy!
    Love, Dom

Sunday July 9th, 2017 at 09:35 AM

Thomas, you wore the perfect outfit for the hotel hermitage <3 I'm so excited to know there are beautiful hotels like this in Florence, as that will probably be one of my next stops for my Europe trip #2 next month. I'm glad it was a cozy and comfortable stay for you and all of the detailed photos of the place are stunning. Enjoyed this thorough review!
    Samantha

25. Theresa Schiffhauer
    Sunday July 9th, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Oh Florence is just such a beautiful city! I really love all of the rooftops! The hotel looks really nice and I definitely know where to stay next 🙂 Have a good day!

26. Kris
    Sunday July 9th, 2017 at 06:39 PM

Your outfit looks amazing!
    Have an awesome day!
    xx Kris

27. Gabriela Vera
    Monday July 10th, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Thomas looks like a nice place to stay in Florence, and love that you brought the scented tassel to Mel it feel more homey. Your outfits are always on point.

Gabriela Vera

Monday July 10th, 2017 at 04:48 AM

What a great post Thomas! I went to Florence a couple years ago and absolutely loved it!! It is so gorgeous! Also, I really love your outfit. Always so sharp!

xo, samira

Monday July 10th, 2017 at 05:19 PM

there you are thomas! you are back! i enjoyed your blog post about this hotel in florence — ive been always wanting to visit but haven’t gotten the chance to yet. maybe next time you should consider packing me in your suitcase 😉 haha! you look so sharp as always xo, sharon

30. Kierra
    Tuesday July 11th, 2017 at 03:57 AM

EVERYTHING you have said in this post makes me so happy. I studied abroad in Florence over the summer months getting to experience Men’s fashion week in Florence. Wasn’t this Mens Fashion Week that you went to?. This was about 3 years ago now. Florence has my heart and I still sometimes imagine the streets and the ways I would get to school every morning. The walks always so beautiful. Your photos sure do capture the charm of Florence and you play the part in these photos so well.

Tuesday July 11th, 2017 at 07:38 PM

Look at my favourite Italian gentleman! You must have ruined Italian fashion bloggers with your killer style. And I’m serious. You know I’ve heard wonders about the hospitality and the excellent position of Hotel Hermitage in Florence! I will definitely check it out myself! I’m glad you took some time off for yourself 🙂 I can’t wait to see all the outfits you donned at Pitti! Love, Valeria

Wednesday July 12th, 2017 at 06:01 PM

Oh I have always wanted to stay there! I saw someone post from there not long ago and it looked so fab! Love your cute suit too 🙂

Wednesday July 12th, 2017 at 08:24 PM

This hotel looks amazing, man I’ve got travel fever so bad from your post.

Thursday July 13th, 2017 at 06:00 AM

I never been to Florence but I’hv seen so many great images and heard great things. Hoping to visit soon. Sounds like you are having so much fun, can’t wait to see all your cute outfit. You look amazing as always.

Thursday July 13th, 2017 at 05:39 PM

Seems to be a god place! Especially i like the terrace – great view! need to go there!

36. Agnes
    Monday July 17th, 2017 at 08:04 PM

Spectacular view, beautiful hotel and I love your style Thomas. Need to stay here the next time I’m in Florence