Do we live in a hedonist society?

Do we live in a hedonist society?

Fashion, Life itself

I’m taking a brief break here from my fashion week recaps and will ponder about what I’ve actually gone through. Still being in Paris however you can see the bridge leading over to The Louvre as a cute little everyday backdrop (I wish) and I’m standing in the middle of it being some sort of tourist attraction. Do I like the attention? Sometimes. Do I find pleasure in it? Well, yes. Am I a hedonist? I assume so, but what this post truly is about is the matter if we live in a hedonist society or not and now I’m specifically referring to the fashion world which by many is considered as superficial and cold.

In some regards, it is true, but the real fashion world is nothing like The Devil Wears Prada. I’ve met the most wonderful and kind new friends and acquaintances among models, fashion editors, bloggers, photographers, designers and whoever is in the industry. We are not rivals, we’re there to work and enjoy what is shown to us and we help each other out, despite that we’ve only known each other for 5 minutes. Of course there are exceptions. A photographer shouted loudly at a presentation saying “ok tourists, move away, I have to work”. By tourists he was referring to the fashion editors and other influential people in fashion who were invited to that particular event. I asked him sternly “And who might you be?” to which he replied “No one you need to care about” to which I replied “In that case, mr Nobody can be nice or get the hell out of my way as we’re working too” and I was applauded by the people around me when he tried to act all cool.

That, however, was only one person and truly an exception out of all the people I encountered during my 5 weeks on the road. No matter how stressful the schedules, no matter how crowded the venues, no matter how much people were sweating, there was always room for friendly smile, hello and most often followed by “I’m xx, what’s your name?”. The amount of business cards on my desk is mile high and I will get back to all the lovely people I’ve met in due time.

I’ve not answered my question yet though. First of all, a hedonist is a person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life. To me that sounds good and what we all should be doing, but the word itself has somehow gotten a negative connotation to it and is been made synonymous with superficial, obnoxious and selfish.

I don’t know why it’s not ok to say you are a hedonist. Are we merely supposed to finish our daily chores and be satisfied with what God has given us and then shut up? I believe the pursuit of pleasure, in whatever way or form it may come in, is a good one as when one finds pleasure, one also finds happiness. Of course there are guilty pleasures, pleasures not considered as such by others and other deviations, but the more I think about it, I am a hedonist and proud of it.

Speaking of the fashion world and making friends. Today a friend from the US who I’ve met through blogging is embarking on a one week long trip to Stockholm to see the city (and I assume me). We live in a globalized world and I’m grateful we nowadays can meet up so easily with people we connect with. That’s quite different from when I was a kid and had penpals in New Zealand, South Korea and the US. With that said, my fashion recaps will be back next week with New York in focus, but this week I’m taking some time off to show Stockholm at its prettiest to my friend and trying to enjoy some social media detox while doing so.

Cap: H&M
Sweater: Scotch & Soda
Shorts: H&M
Sneakers: Jim Rickey

Photographer: David Tenori

Sunday July 30th, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Okay, I’m glad you defined what hedonism is because I would have been very very lost, but Google is a friend for life haha! I think we do live in a hedonist society, but it doesn’t have to be mean, just like you said. I’ve met amazing people through fashion week activities or blogging, just by going out of my comfort zone and being a nice person and not a prick! Some people are really rude, but it doesn’t have to change how everyone else acts to each other. For me, I am on a mission to grow and I don’t know when I’ll ever be satisfied, but hopefully one of these days. It’s perfectly alright to be a hedonist, be proud of it! Do what makes you happy and what brings you pleasure, that’s not selfish in the slightest!! Enjoy your detox and time with your friend, you deserve it!!

Sunday July 30th, 2017 at 11:48 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a hedonist. I think as long as you have your morals right and your beliefs/ values in order and you’re happy with yourself, then I don’t see how it harms anyone. Of course fashion is a superficial world but I think there are a lot of sides that you can look at it which is more than just the clothing and pictures. I think we find ourselves through this industry and I can tell that you have done just that!

3. Cristofer
    Monday July 31st, 2017 at 12:11 AM

Wise as always. Proud hedonists we are.

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 01:22 AM

Yes. I do believe we live in a somewhat hedonist society. This is a capitalistic world!! Pleasure is every where we look and it’s sad. Life is more about what you can attain instead of what you can give. I’m glad you addressed this issue in your post and I’m feeling that sweatshirt.

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 04:20 AM

I have never heard of the word “hedonist” until now and reading your description of it, I was thinking to myself, that sounds just like me! I can also admit I take pleasure in lots of things and I don’t see anything wrong with it, as long as we mix a bit of humble to it and don’t let it go to our heads. Some things in the fashion industry are definitely superficial and I think it’s always important to have some sort of balance so it doesn’t come off that way!

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 04:50 AM

I have never heard of the word hedonism so thanks for explaining it to me, I would have been so lost. I really do think we live in a hedonist world.

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 06:51 AM

The first time that I heard of hedonism so now how you explained I understand . In generally anyone of us searching this . But is difficult to meet extrovert and positive people. Sometimes I’m disgusted by the false world we live in.

8. Charissa
    Monday July 31st, 2017 at 09:32 AM

Didn’t hear the word hedonist before, but I think I’m the same as Candace describes. The fashionworld truly is a great world to be in and also I have met some amazing people. I had to laugh about your little story, that man sounded nuts and super cocky. But I guess those people will always be arround, just know how to deal with them and you’ll be fine 🙂 XO Charissa | ladygoldapple.com

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 04:07 PM

Call me ignorant but I actually did not know the meaning of hedonist before stumbling across your post! I definitely think that we live in a hedonist society, especially those in the fashion industry. Even someone like me, who is fairly introverted enjoy taking pleasure in all sorts of things but I think that’s not a bad thing as long as we stay humble and grounded about it. I’ve definitely met my fair share of obnoxious people in the industry after living in LA for three years, so I’m glad my move has helped me focus more on me and what’s important. xo, sharon

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 07:25 PM

Thank you for writing about this! I think we all are, more than we’d like to admit.
    Personally, I think there’s nothing wrong with being a hedonist. We all want pleasure in every aspect of our lives and as long as we are being good and honest and not hurting anyone, then it’s all good.
    I feel like I tried to pursue pleasure with doing my blog and pursuing my dreams, and that has inspired others to do the same, which gives me the highest of pleasures 🙂
    Anyway, thanks for sharing my friend! As usual love the photos and I soooo need this sweater!!

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 08:39 PM

I have heard about the term hedonist but never knew what actually meant. Thank you for the great explanation and for sharing it. I’m Loving the orange sweater and how it coincided with the title for your post! As always you look so chic! What filter do you use for your photos??

xx. Gina

Monday July 31st, 2017 at 10:11 PM

I think these days finding happiness and doing things we love is very prevalent. If that makes us a hedonist society I think it’s a good thing. So many people waste time at a dead end career and are unhappy with life in general and we need to focus on finding our happiness and living life to the fullest. I love this vibrant orange sweater and the pattern on it is so cool. Can’t tell if it’s the reflection or slightly camo but whatever it is, it’s definitely cool. I am glad that you’ve had such a positive experience at PFW and that the world of fashion and blogging has been good to you. I love that we all support each other and help each other rise. That’s what it is all about. xoxo, Christine

Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 12:23 AM

I think it is totally ok to be a hedonist – we should all do what makes us happy. As long as we are not hurting other people along the way. Like that rude photographer you mentioned!

Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 02:14 AM

Love your Hedonist sweatshirt. I know you had to get all kinds of stares, questions and comments. I think I could be hedonist because I always take care of myself – wellbeing & happiness. I do have consideration for other people but I come first. You are responsible for your own happiness in this hedonist society.
    Great post.

15. Kate Tik
    Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 04:27 AM

As always me dear, your posts are fire! This is so well thought out and got me thinking. I have met some incredible people in the fashion world I truly don’t believe there’s anything wrong with pursuing what brings you pleasure.

katetik.com

16. Karina
    Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 06:53 PM

I didnt knew what is the Meaning of Hedonist and Happy that I am not alone, Lol:)
    Agree with you, after that I understood the meaning, I think we do live in this type of Society
    Adore the vivid Sweater:)
    Love the color on you:)
    Kisses Darling

Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 07:38 PM

Hedonist sounds great but doesn’t exist as suffering and hurt is part of life. It all makes us grow and be stronger but being happy and choosing pleasure is the way forward! LOVE the post!

Tuesday August 1st, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Dear (My) Tommy,
    Wow ! I’m so glad to hear that the fashion world is not really like The Devil Wears Prada and except for the rude person you’ve had so many positive experiences! I never really thought about the term or concept before but now that you have explained who hedonism is I think that as everything else, it’s needed as part of a balanced lifestyle and we should not be afraid to show our hedonistic sides!
    On another note, I really love this look on you! This shade orange is amazing!
    All my love,
    (Your) Jenny

Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 06:25 AM

I think you’re right about hedonist having a negative connotation. Seeking pleasure is not a bad thing and we should all strive to do that in our daily lives. It doesn’t have to be debauchery or sexual pleasure. It can be enjoying a cup of coffee or just being thankful. On another note, I’m glad you stood up to that snobby Mr. Nobody. It’s important to know when to speak up and defend yourself and others when you feel like someone else is pushing you down. Toi toi!!

20. Kamen Kamenov
    Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 09:14 AM

Hey my lovely…. yeah a hedonist indeed. It is always sooooo much fun reading about your adventures and I am literally picking everything up, since I am on the same path… and hopefully will some day have the opportunity to do that a full time job. Ur encounter with Mr Nobody made my day. I enjoy that you are so self-confident and stylish as usual. The orange top is just amazing and emphasises your character and personality. Love to see and read more . Xoxo

21. Toyosi
    Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 09:22 AM

I totally agree that we live in a hedonist society ,but as with other things there are exceptions to the cold behavior and nastiness that plague the fashion and blogging world!!!!Im a firm believer of be the change you want to see in the world!!!Such an insightful post!!i enjoyed reading it!!!

Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 11:49 AM

I actually dint know the meaning of this word but thanks for sharing this with us. I have to agreed that people often thinks that the Fashion world are people very nasty and materialistic and all about the outside… but not everyone are like that!! I must say I have met people like the devil wears prada but most of them have been the opposite. I think people is Europe are nicer and friendly than the US though. As always you look amazing Thomas!

Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 12:51 PM

I’m glad that your brought up the topic of Hedonist Society. We now live in a society that everyone has pretty much fulfilled their Maslow Triangle needs, so the next level achievement for them would hedonism. I believe I am a hedonist, if resources are unlimited. However, when reality comes into the picture, we need to prioritize our dreams vs reality. Guess no world is perfect.

On a separate note, This hedonist society is so bold! Loving it!

Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 01:32 PM

I’ve always thought of “hedonist” in a more negative way, but pleasure can be in many different forms so I guess it’s up to the person. That must have been so annoying to have encountered that rude photographer – seriously kudos to you for putting down your foot and standing up for the people around you. This is why I admire you because you speak your mind when you need to 🙂

Wednesday August 2nd, 2017 at 11:38 PM

I think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a hedonist, especially if you’ve worked really hard to earn what you’ve got. A work hard, play hard mentality is something I’ve always agreed with. It’s true that somewhere along the line hedonism has become synonymous with superficiality, rudeness, and obnoxiousness. I think the two don’t necessarily go hand in hand but unfortunately there are quite a lot of people you live the life of excess and feel entitled to it or that they are exempt from being a decent human being. That, I do have a problem with. Good for you standing up to that rude photographer in the street.

26. michenn
    Thursday August 3rd, 2017 at 04:11 PM

I remember the first time I heard the term hedonist and it was from my Bermudan friend who said that Bermuda had these hedonist clubs where everyone was naked and partied haha. That was the connotation I received and it was negative but I like to look at it in the positive sense like you, and think of it as a love of life!

Saturday August 5th, 2017 at 09:35 AM

I believe that we live in hedonist society nowadays and find it both good and bad. Good, because people start to learn how to be themselves and to clarify what they like and want and how to be happy. But there is the other side. Too many people are not smart enough and all they can do is just enjoy life without any responsibility. So we have a society of selfish and narcissistic individuals which doesn’t know what real life is and can’t take care even of themselves. Their priorities are also controversial. And they really believe that everybody owes them.
    I think that fashion industry are full of such persons, but it is also full of hard-workers, talented, creative and open minded people, like each industry, that is close to art.

28. Lisa-Jane
    Saturday August 5th, 2017 at 04:07 PM

Such an interesting piece – thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I love your put down to the snooty photographer too…! But I agree – and as my Mother always said, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.
    But to the point of your post – I am also proud to be a hedonist. I work hard, I’m nice to people, but I also enjoy the good things in life, and why not? So many amazing places to travel to, incredible food to eat, and gorgeous shoes to wear, haha! We should enjoy it all! Xx

29. kallie
    Sunday August 6th, 2017 at 04:43 AM

This is such a great post. I have never heard the term hedonist, and I love that you have broadened views on the fashion industry and all of the amazing people in it!

Sunday August 6th, 2017 at 08:52 AM

I think I’m def a closet hedonist that had just come clean, actually I take that back, judging from my expensive shoes and bag collection, I am def not closet hedonist. Enjoy the hard earned fruit of labor is nothing to be ashamed of. As long as no one is getting hurt in the pursue of your happiness, it is absolutely fine to be a little self-indulgent. Unfortunately the general public have a misconception with hedonism and it is such a great post to be educational and informative.

xo Sheree

Monday August 7th, 2017 at 05:12 AM

Dear brother Tommy,
    First off YAS! You tell these snooty people what’s up! You and I don’t put up with people’s shit and that’s what I love about you! I never thought about the term hedonist, but now your gonna have me using it in a song. Just wait, i’ll write something with it in it! There is nothing wrong being hedonist! As you said people can misconceive that, but hopefully they can be a little bit more educated after reading this post!
    I loved these Paris posts and I know all these locations already. Hopefully one day soon I can have fabulous shoots like you brother! Lastly, I love the orange on you! Yes bro! Keep on slaying and being you!
    Love, Dom

Monday August 7th, 2017 at 02:27 PM

Hello dear! You gave me some food for thought here! First of all let me tell you that you slay that oversize sweatshirt, you pull it off with so much charme and effortlessly in spite of its bold color. Which by the way I love! Regarding your question, I believe we live in a hedonist society. I think that a good dose of hedonism is healthy for someone who was educated to always study/work hard no matter under which conditions. In my 30s I’ve become an hedonist in this sense. On the other hand I believe parents who want to spare their kids every kind of fatigue while they grow up, make them hedonist not in a good way. There should be more balance. I don’t know if what I said made sense, but your question is very complicated. Enjoy your time with your friend, you definitely deserve a break my love! Big hugs, Valeria

Tuesday August 8th, 2017 at 01:32 AM

Very interesting points you’ve brought up! I do think that we should live our life so boldly, so full of passion and the pursuit of true happiness but at the same time take into account how our lives affect others. Let’s say, if I were to pursue a career with low salary, how will my future family survive? So it’s all about balancing your life to have happiness and also responsibilities that may not make you ecstatic but still are worthwhile.

34. Suzanne Spiegoski
    Wednesday August 9th, 2017 at 07:16 PM

I am totally digging the sweatshirt! Love the orange color 🙂

Friday August 11th, 2017 at 07:38 PM

Thank you so very much for everything, my amazing friend.

36. Keyma
    Monday August 14th, 2017 at 06:04 AM

Amazing posts. I absolutely love how you put the thoughts together. It is true, this fashion world is filled with lots of amaixng folks and yes 1 or 2 bitter bags. It’s ok. That sweater is pretty dope.